Hi All - Help needed pls - electrical issue

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
John Martin
On the Road

Hi All - Help needed pls - electrical issue

Post by John Martin »

Hi All. Went on a charity ride out through Mourne Mountains, County Down today and it turned out to be a nitemare! Got a rear puncture, then at a filling station I stopped to get puncture repair gunk to get me home. When I pulled up at station the bike - 2001 V Rap 1000 - was in gear, and I put down side stand. The bike stopped running as it should. After sorting tyre I turned on ignition and had nothing on dash at all. Not even neutral light. The bike started and ran thankfully, but the only thing working was the headlight - nothing else. I'm hoping its a relay issue. checked fuses - all ok. Got home and sprayed some switch cleaner in ignition switch just in case but problem still there.

So bike starts and runs but nothing else but the headlight.

Any suggestions guys - had the bike 6 years and love it, 34k on clock
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Hi All - Help needed pls - electrical issue

Post by shebee »

Welcome back! I would look at the connections into the back of the speedo console usual method, unplug, switch cleaner, acf50, and repeat a couple of times and then try again. Someone more technically minded might be along soon but thats my first guess :shock:
Twisted Tequila Sister
John Martin
On the Road

Post by John Martin »

Cheers. In process of stripping front end down atm lol. About 100 pieces so far. Seems strange it happened when bike cut off when using side stand. Usually just key. Wish me luck lol
John Martin
On the Road

Post by John Martin »

Hi All. Quick update. Turns out stripping front end didn't work. All wiring traces to multiplies below tank which I've cleaned with switch cleaner. Still have niggling this is relay related. Only electrical issues I've had with bike was starter relay which I replaced 3 yrs ago. Any ideas??
John Martin
On the Road

Post by John Martin »

As it happens previous owners had messed with indicator connectors so worthwhile stripping front end. I'll sort them before rebuild
John Martin
On the Road

Post by John Martin »

All sorted. Word to the wise - when checking fuses always remove each one. Had a 15 amp fuse that'd blown but by simply tilting each fuse and checking you can't see if its blown on one side and not the top!!!! What a numpty lol. Anyway I found some stuff that needs redone in the process which is good to keep old girl tip top. Thanks for taking an interest in this issue. BTW is there any way I can post pic of bike on this forum. Bike safe guys
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

John,

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of the problem!
You can just attach a pic to your posts, but it must be rather small, <250kb if I remember rightly. Otherwise, you need to use one of the image-hosting sites and then include a link in your post. I use imgbb.com and find that pretty easy, and I'm no great shakes with IT.

Good luck,

Nick, Norfolk
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Glad you fixed it John!
Roadsters are me!