Dead Raptor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
sidrat
On the Road

Re: Dead Raptor

Post by sidrat »

To be honesy i bought one for two reasons, as they are on their backs all the time i was worried about leaks, even the Gel one i have which is sealed! leaks slightly.

The other reason is that i have onein my track day bike and it sometimes sits for a a couple of months at a time and then takes a while to start (carbs!) but the battery still keeps cranking.

As for price, only £10 more than a Yuasa.

I take on board the older bike charging issues, although my track day bike is older, what recommedations for a newer reg/rec? My bike is 2001 and pretty original and lowish mileage so i am assuming its the original one.

I have fixed the battery charge problem, it was indeed the USB charger, two minutes checking with a multimeter you could see the amps being eaten away, so hopefully problem solved.
Roadsters are me!
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Thanks Joe, i will investigate
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've never figured out how all these after marker reg/rec companies are related but I see on the Carmo Electronics contact page there is reference to Electrex World see https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/inde ... contact_us

Beware because there is very little space where the reg/rec is fitted and I had to make up a one off bracket and trim the side panel to make it fit. The wiring loom connectors are not the best or routed ideally either. It can be a right old faff getting it all to fit nicely.

With me it's usually the regulator that fails as this can be seen by the mini voltmeter I have - I'd recommend to fit one to indicate impending failure. Heat seems to cause an over charging failure and too much drain seems to causes an under charging failure. As the air flow is pretty minimal too & I have taken to putting a fan on the reg/rec when I'd stopped if it was a particularly hot day.
anglo
On the Road

Post by anglo »

Now this may be laughable, but I have to be really careful not to turn the key to "park" when I leave the bike. I bought a new battery before I realized that I was leaving it in "park". Maybe only someone as daft as me would do this.
Sidrat, have you still got the Griso?
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

No the Griso went a two years ago.

I was just pushing it too much onthe road so bought a Triumph 675 r which is almost the perfect bike. except everyone has got one and it is not a V twin. Popped in to a bike shop while i was shopping for a car for my Daughter and the Raptor said take me home.

In the meantime and at the same time i sold the Griso i bought a newer track day bike, so it takes the edge of going too fast on the road.

Lots of updates to the Rapter (as you have to do on the Griso) so just waiting for the good weather to try it out!
Roadsters are me!