Dead Raptor

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
sidrat
On the Road

Dead Raptor

Post by sidrat »

So apart from the 30amp fuse and those in the fuse box anywhere else I should look?

Bad earth perhaps? No ignition lights no pump noise nothing
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Dead Raptor

Post by nickst4 »

No battery?

Sorry, :wink:

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Mine did that, halfway thru a 8 hour ride home the day I bought it, AFTER dark at a servo. I removed the battery for 5 minutes, then reconnected and away it went, and has never happened since.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

No battery?
Not as silly as it sounds Nick, is the battery just knackered or perhaps been burnt out by a faulty regulator/rectifier.
No ignition lights no pump noise nothing
Ignition switch?
Strokersmoke
On the Road

Post by Strokersmoke »

I recently had my X-Raptorserviced and a new battery fitted. On my first trip out the engine died at tick over on a couple of occasions and after a short wait, it started again. We checked all the fuses and tested and cleaned all the contacts on the relays under the seat.
It turned out the the reg/rec had gone faulty and wasn't charging the battery. The engine would start again as soon as the battery had had a rest.
The tl1000s/r reg rec is the same model but are almost £200.The correct partnumber is SH579A-12.
I sourced one from ELECTREX for about £70 and it fits straight on. Beware of buying the same model that fits some Ducatis. One of the connectors has a different male/female configuration.
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Thanks for the replies. The fix turned out to be easy, however the longer term problem might not be.

The easy fix was that is was simply the main fuse! Before you think i am a simple fool, it was the first thing i checked, however eventually i took it out of its holder and the fuse you can see is in fact the spare one!!!, the other one you can't see is the main fuse, bugger.

The longer term problem is killing batteries. I have replaced the old battery last week, as it had died, i replaced with a Lithium one and it went dead in a week, just sat in in the garage, so somewhere something is drawing current. So now starts my real investigation!
Roadsters are me!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

If its killing batteries i would look at regulator/rectifier first. Is it actually charging? Is it over charging. Put a meter on the battery when its running and see what the voltage changes are when at idle and at revs... anything over 14v is a no-no anything under 12 and a bit wont be doing enough. Do you have an alarm , heated grips or satnav wired in?

Oops i just re read the post... if it hasn’t been running ignore the first comment! I seem to recall that at one point mine was trapping a wire under the seat so it was fine all the time the seat was off but as soon as i sat on it the problem started.
Twisted Tequila Sister
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

I have disconnected the usb charger, but not had the weather to try it out.

The battery is charged and i am now checking it every day to see if it is loosing a charge while attached to the bike, if it does i will be looking for a dead short somewhere
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

shebee wrote: 3 years ago I seem to recall that at one point mine was trapping a wire under the seat so it was fine all the time the seat was off but as soon as i sat on it the problem started.

Ooo, please, let me be the one to say it! Maybe a diet would have helped? :lol:

We loves you, Sheebs! :nod:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

You are not too far away for a slap you know!... :bollocking:
Twisted Tequila Sister
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

There's plenty of confusion surrounding using Li-Ion batteries with older charging systems - specifically the regulator/rectifier. Here's a link to an Electrex World warning sheet (pdf) https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ekhntoafnc6 ... s.pdf?dl=0

I tend to think of the regulator/rectifiers as service items as I have replaced so many. The only thing I haven't done is hard wire them to the battery avoiding the main fuse/positive lead connector box thingmy.

It always appears to be the regulator that goes pop and heat or too much current draw appear to be the killers. I have a little led ammeter that gives early warning of impending failure.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Andy,

Thanks for posting that link. If the most prominent aftermarket R/R makers are adamant that Li-ion batteries are completely unsuitable and potentially dangerous on a bike, why do people still look to fit them? Vanity, I guess, and perhaps a reluctance to eat less pies if they really want to reduce weight. I know of at least one heartbreaking loss of a bike collection due to a Li-ion battery failing in the owner's absence. The infrastructure for the use of such batteries on bikes just seems to be absent even if they are fine, mostly, in other tech areas.

Nick
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

Get a newer series reg rec if you can. The old ones short everything not needed to ground so the stator is working flat out all the time. The new ones use a switch mode power supply to output the correct battery voltage and only take as much power as needed from the stator. Less heat, less fuel usage, etc.

James
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

why do people still look to fit them?
I know it's always stumped me.... it's not as though they are performance enhancing or cheap. Fashion is a fickle maiden.
Get a newer series reg rec if you can. The old ones short everything not needed to ground so the stator is working flat out all the time. The new ones use a switch mode power supply to output the correct battery voltage and only take as much power as needed from the stator. Less heat, less fuel usage, etc.
I did look into this... and from what I recall the Shindengen was such a beast and recommended by many. However it's a big old unit and would be real tough to find the space to mount it on a raptor.

Not the easiest thing to get hold of either so I gave up on something that I wasn't entirely sure would work or I could wire in correctly.
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

http://roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_ ... AVAILABLE_

I bought one from this dude. Took ages for shipping but that's because I am down in the colonies!

Or these are in Greece. http://www.sxelectronics.gr/en/p2.html#CAGIVA Never used one though.

James