Front spark plug

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Pomegranate
On the Road

Front spark plug

Post by Pomegranate »

Apologies for starting a new thread, but the previous debates around damp front spark haven't been used for years.

After riding around in the wet last month on my new 494cc single, I've replaced my front plug cap with an NGK SD05FM. I asked specifically for a jet ski cap and this seems to fit the bill, though it looks like people are using them on their dirt bikes.

So the weather's been shocking today and as I'm so good to you guys, I rode around in the rain getting piss wet through for about and hour and not a hint of a misfire. I then held my garden hose to the front cylinder head for a fair while and she still ticked over fine.

If anyone is still having issues with the front misfiring in the wet, give it a try.
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Front spark plug

Post by nickst4 »

A picture and spec for that cap would be good! Not many jet-skis around here... :roll:

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Sorry; the number you quoted was for the cap. How does it differ from a regular cap? Would a layer of silicone grease do the job, or would that just collect dirt?

Nick
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Sounds like the water drain hole for the spark plug is blocked. Had the same problem with my 650 until I unblocked the drain hole.
Pomegranate
On the Road

Post by Pomegranate »

I've been keeping the drainage hole clear. Sadly wasn't sufficient to keep my sparks sparking.

Also, had been using dialectic grease for a while, but it tends to migrate to areas you really don't want it on when it gets hot enough.

The new cap has a rubber sheath over a ceramic core, which leads to their claim of it being waterproof.
DSCF0243.JPG
DSCF0243.JPG (121.38 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
ngk-epdm-rubber-spark-plug-cap.jpg
ngk-epdm-rubber-spark-plug-cap.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

This is excellent tweaking, thank you for the info.
I'm still riding with a mud flap attached behind the radiator to protect the front cap, must be more than ten years since we did that little adjustment.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>