Tyre pressures

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
monkeyrocco
On the Road

Tyre pressures

Post by monkeyrocco »

its been ages since I was on the forum so high to all again. I have not used my raptor for a good while been playing about with various bikes in various places but now I am getting a bit old for that and have decided to stay in Europe , hence the raptor can come back into my life :mrgreen: my question is what tyre pressures are you all using two up with luggage? Cheers in advance Rocco.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Tyre pressures

Post by shebee »

Welcome back! :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

With a passenger the book recommends 2.5 bar/36 psi for the front & 2.7 bar/39 psi for the rear but...

if you can find out I would go with the tyre manufacturers recommendation. I run Metzeler Roadtecs and initially used Cagiva's recommended pressures and the straight line stability at speed, in particular, was 'kin awful. Putting in Metzeler's recommended pressures, strangely 2.5 & 2.7, turned the tyres into the wonders the press had been raving about.

And if you can find the rider only values then perhaps just biff 0.2 bar/3 psi more in each as per the book.

BTW my experience also showed that investing in a decent pressure gauge is invaluable.

Andy B
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

andybaggies wrote: 4 years ago With a passenger the book recommends 2.5 bar/36 psi for the front & 2.7 bar/39 psi for the rear but...

if you can find out I would go with the tyre manufacturers recommendation. I run Metzeler Roadtecs and initially used Cagiva's recommended pressures and the straight line stability at speed, in particular, was 'kin awful. Putting in Metzeler's recommended pressures, strangely 2.5 & 2.7, turned the tyres into the wonders the press had been raving about.

And if you can find the rider only values then perhaps just biff 0.2 bar/3 psi more in each as per the book.

BTW my experience also showed that investing in a decent pressure gauge is invaluable.

Andy B
Bit confused with your numbers, Andy! I guess you are saying that the Roadtecs work best at the two-up Cagiva settings? Personally, I run the lowest pressures I can for comfort-sake, so reckon on low/mid 30's for the Angel STs still on the 1000. (Apologies for Imperial numbers but I don't care for fractions!)

Re the pressure gauges, the problem is that they are inconsistent. I bought two digital ones and they read differently by a couple of psi, and the readings on the digital one on my Michelin foot-pump vary depending on the state of the battery! I now have a couple of analog gauges that will also suit the campervan's higher pressures but reading lower settings is more guesswork. Just the connectors can influence things, so I prefer the push-on ones to avoid much of the air-loss associated with screw-fit ones. What do you consider a decent gauge?

Nick
monkeyrocco
On the Road

Post by monkeyrocco »

Thanks ,I guessed at 36 and 40 because that's what my old thundercat was thinner section rear I know but I was fatter not that I am thin now :D . I am running a full bore on the front ( because I had it ) and just put a maxis tour on the rear , its a nice day today so I will try it out.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I guess you are saying that the Roadtecs work best at the two-up Cagiva settings?
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. The Metzeler recommended settings are the same as Cagiva's two up settings. And it showed the tyres were quite sensitive to under inflation and my gauge(s) where giving incorrect values.
What do you consider a decent gauge?
After buying one of these https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/longacr ... ch-526447/ to set the pressures & all was well with the handling I had faith the gauge was accurate & so became my benchmark. This also showed that my other gauges were wildly inaccurate.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a pressure gauge is at it's most accurate in the middle of it's pressure range.

Andy B
monkeyrocco
On the Road

Post by monkeyrocco »

All good happy with those pressures just need to lose some weight or get a stronger shock :ride:
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Andy,

Thanks for the link to the pressure gauge. That certainly is a cut above mine in price, so one would hope also in accuracy. The cost may reflect individual calibration as much as superior componentry, of course.

I was out on the 1k yesterday afternoon for a swift 30 mile circuit which includes decent straights and twisties rather than the very rural roads I often frequent, so was proceeding in a spirited manner! The handling and road-holding is perfect on my lowish Angel ST tyre pressures, so I'm curious as to what problems you had at high speed on the Roadtecs?

Incidentally, I'm really bonding with my Raptor 1K now and I'm pretty sure the expense of the Matris suspension front and back has played its part. I've also got used to the power of the motor and the need for minute throttle movements! I didn't think I'd come to regard it as a friendly bike rather than a beast, but so it now seems. First impressions of the 650 are not as pleasurable as I'd imagined they would be, including strange differences in the ergonomics (lower footrests due to changed footrest castings, and a longer reach to the 'bars, plus the suspension is harsh and the saddle firm and narrow). The 650 motor is good though, even if it lacks the authority of the 1000. Let's hope Dianne likes it and leaves me to ride the thou! :nod:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

That certainly is a cut above mine in price, so one would hope also in accuracy.
I always like to ask why is one cheap rather than why is one expensive?
so I'm curious as to what problems you had at high speed on the Roadtecs?
In two words it felt 'uneasy & unstable'. It manifested itself during prolonged high speed runs on the motorway where it would shimmy on white lines, give a little head shake when in a slip stream (especially of a transit type van) and it just never instilled confidence.

After increasing the pressures all these symptoms disappeared and there was a noticeable increase in 'tip in' speed and accuracy. It must be said they are fabulous in the cold & wet.
I've also got used to the power of the motor and the need for minute throttle movements! I didn't think I'd come to regard it as a friendly bike rather than a beast, but so it now seems.
Practice makes perfect :ride: Using mine pretty much daily has so improved my confidence, and I hope my riding skill. And yes it's just a big softie and although he's full of torque don't let him bobble along under 3k.
The 650 motor is good though, even if it lacks the authority of the 1000
You can't beat cubes....