Removing Shock and Forks

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
DemonD
On the Road

Removing Shock and Forks

Post by DemonD »

Hello boys and girls, I'm new to this site. Always wanted a Raptor, just picked up a 2000 model Raptor 1000 with 18K on clock. I had the foot rest hangers powder coated, have them back on, look great.
Now the suspension is not great, I talked to the guys at Maxton. They said they can replace entire inner workings of the forks and sell me a good shock. Will this make a huge difference to the handling? Is it also necessary to change the rear linkage and place a heat guard on the rear header to protect the shock( seen some pics of one here that one lad did) to really make a difference. Also how difficult is it to remove the rear shock and forks, how much other stuff do I need to remove. Do I have to support the frame from the roof of my shed?
I would really appreciate any advice that you may have, many thanks, Sean.
Miz
On the Road

Re: Removing Shock and Forks

Post by Miz »

Hiya, welcome in, are you sure you need to have the work done? The Raptor is not a race rep, so you might be asking a bit much, my advice would be to ride it a while and get used to it, then spend your money on more useful mods..
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

IMO if you're between 8 and 20 stone the boings are best given a bit of time to be got used to as Miz suggests so then you can find out what you may really need to change or adjust.

but 18k ?? damn thing's hardly run-in :shock: might just need riding :ride: a bit to loosen stuff eh? :nod:

me? I don't fix what ain't broke - but you could tell that already :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
DemonD
On the Road

Post by DemonD »

Thanks Miz and Snappy, fair play to ye for the quick reply. Maybe I will just stick a few Carbon bits on it and drive it for a while, haven't been riding bikes in a good few years! Miz, by the way, what do you suggest are useful mods?
I noticed there is a bit of a metallic clang when I switch the engine off, is that normal with these big twins? :)
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hi DemonD and welcome, the raps shocks are soft at the best of times , anything you do will be an improvement ! Some have replaced the forks , if you dont want to do that i cant see why a rebuild wouldnt be an improvement. The arse of the rap drags low also another reason to upgrade if your one looking for better handling . Theres a range of rear shocks you can get ,i may be looking for one soon with ride height, some already have extra ride height incorporated and other are adjustable. I used some exhaust wrap just in the section where the shock is and you can feel the difference , you can actually move your hand around the shock with the motor running
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

DemonD wrote:55 years agoNow the suspension is not great
You're right, it is rubish ! :evil:
Best and the most expensive way is to change whole front end and rear shock. I would recommend that, I've switched forks to Ducati Monster ones and rear shock is FG Gubellini. Bought everything second hand, everything went quite easily and didnt cost fortune. But if I would do it again, I would spend more money and get better forks etc.
DemonD wrote:55 years agoWill this make a huge difference to the handling?
Yes, enormous difference.
Even with my moderate parts !
DemonD wrote:55 years agoIs it also necessary to change the rear linkage and place a heat guard on the rear header to protect the shock( seen some pics of one here that one lad did) to really make a difference. Also how difficult is it to remove the rear shock and forks, how much other stuff do I need to remove. Do I have to support the frame from the roof of my shed?
I would really appreciate any advice that you may have, many thanks, Sean.
Its not necessary to change rear linkage but its easy, cheap mod. Moves bikes center of gravity forward and makes bike turn easier.
I've fought with my homemade heat guard... My design is impossible to install without removing rear shock or at least lifting rear.
But that is my own design fault. :blush: But I think, not sure about this that rear exhaust heats rear shock a lot and thats not a good thing. There is not enough air flow to cool shock.

Removing front forks or rear shock is not a big deal. Bolt-on could be right word to describe the job.
I'm not sure if it is necessary to get bike hanging from the ceiling. But I did that, that way.
Cant find easier way. :mrgreen:
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
DemonD
On the Road

Post by DemonD »

Ozzraptor, thanks for the advice, I will try the exhaust wrap, seems like a good simple fix.
DemonD
On the Road

Post by DemonD »

V4mp, how do you know what forks you can use, is it simply the internal diameter of the yolks, and what they can accept. Is the length involved. Do you have to use the wheel/discs/calipers/master cylinder/brake lever/mudguard from the fork donor bike?
Could I use the forks and shock from a GSXR1000K5/K6 for example, or an 899 Panigale, what are the limitations of what can be simply bolted on?
Thanks for the advice brother!!!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Yeah welcome in, use the search function top right and you'll find there's a whole heap of fork and shock info already posted. I've never had the shock off but I have had the forks out, I'm not able to hang anything from my (cardboard-like) garage roof so I propped the rear on a paddock stand and the sump up on wooden blocks - but there's an annoying lip to the front of the sump that can get in the way so it's a bit fiddly getting it right. When she's up on blocks she doesn't feel that secure so loosen the fork clamps slightly before raising her so you don't have to apply a lot of force to an unsteady bike and it's easy enough for a muppet like me.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
DemonD
On the Road

Post by DemonD »

Thanks Spyke, I'll have look at previous posts, the wooden block technique might be handy too :) , the simple solutions are the best!
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoYeah welcome in, use the search function top right and you'll find there's a whole heap of fork and shock info already posted. I've never had the shock off but I have had the forks out, I'm not able to hang anything from my (cardboard-like) garage roof so I propped the rear on a paddock stand and the sump up on wooden blocks - but there's an annoying lip to the front of the sump that can get in the way so it's a bit fiddly getting it right. When she's up on blocks she doesn't feel that secure so loosen the fork clamps slightly before raising her so you don't have to apply a lot of force to an unsteady bike and it's easy enough for a muppet like me.
And if previous posts doesnt solve the problem, make new post and we try to help you. :)
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

My rap has a aprilla falco shock fitted , a straight swap I believe , think it lifts the back up a little so makes the steering a bit sharper. I changed the fork springs & oil ,from hagon, about & £80 . Still think the forks need more adjustments so may fit R1 fork over the winter. Not sure if the falco forks fit , would match the shock nicely .
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Not an easy bike to get the wheels out of. I put a bar through the swining arm pivot & supported it on an axel stand each side, then jacked the front up carefully on the sump using some wood. Not ideal .
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

raptor996 wrote:55 years agoNot an easy bike to get the wheels out of. I put a bar through the swining arm pivot & supported it on an axel stand each side, then jacked the front up carefully on the sump using some wood. Not ideal .
Not at all ! :shock:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

raptor996 wrote:55 years agoMy rap has a aprilla falco shock fitted , a straight swap I believe , think it lifts the back up a little so makes the steering a bit sharper. I changed the fork springs & oil ,from hagon, about & £80 . Still think the forks need more adjustments so may fit R1 fork over the winter. Not sure if the falco forks fit , would match the shock nicely .
Interested in the aprillia shock,exactly which model shock did you use ? As far as jacking up the bike goes i used a jack under the engine of course using a block of wood, once the bike almost of the ground and getting ver unstable i used a ratchet tie from frame on either side to the shed railings and it was rock solid . Then a jack under rear wheel to take pressure off when removing axle. This was when i was changing out the rear triangles . Also gsxr forks should work with spacers, 04 05 600 750 are also Showa, 50mm top and 54mm bottom clamp. I used those forks on my old sv and what an improvement.