Origin of Parts

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Crocodile

Origin of Parts

Post by Crocodile »

Hi,

I’m a newbie to Cagiva and Raptors, but only to the brand and model, as I have 6 other bikes currently.
Over the past 10 years I have slowly migrated from restoration and light farkling to full on custom projects.

I’ve just bought a 2000 Cagiva V Raptor 1000 and I’m starting to get my head around it. Mechanically it’s sound, but its in need of some TLC. At the moment, I’m not sure what I’ll do to it, other than get everything operating up to scratch.

What I’m most interested in understanding is the manufacturer makeup of the components. That will help me as I try to source or retrofit parts. Right now, I’m assuming that it’s an amalgam of Cagiva, Suzuki and Ducati components, but that’s just a guess.

I’d appreciate if anyone can tell me the origin of the following components or sub-systems (and better still, what other bikes used this item). I’ve taken an educated guess on some of them, but I may be wrong.
• Frame – Cagiva
• Engine – Suzuki
• Forks –
• Wheels –
• Brakes –
• Rear Suspension – Cagiva
• Electrics –
• ECU –
• Controls –
• Tank – Cagiva
• Tank Electrics
• Panels – Cagiva
• Seat – Cagiva
• Lights – Cagiva
• Exhaust – Cagiva
• Coolers – Suzuki

Thanks in advance,
Crocodile
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: Origin of Parts

Post by ozzraptor »

Welcome mate, i wouldn't hesitate in saying for most i beleive the main attraction to this bike is the stonking suzuki tl1000s engine and that goes also for the suzuki sv650 motor found in the 650 raptor as well. Electrics mainly born from the TL including switchblocks etc ,ecu almost the same as TL1000S although the mapping is of course different. There are variations including the airbox which also is different to the suzuki tl unit,motor is said to be the same but i think cagiva used smaller valves etc with raptor 1000 producing less power than the tl,probably about 10hp less, some of that is also attributed to the smaller restrictive exhaust design with no real aftermarket full system available for the raptor 1000. At least motor parts and some electrics should be easy to find. Good luck, with a name like that i would have thought you are from Australia :D post some pics of the new bike
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Cagiva no longer owned Ducati when they started building the Raptors. Miguel Angel Galluzzi http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/2830277 who designed the Ducati Monster also designed the Raptor, and he has been quoted as saying that the Raptor was the best Monster he ever designed. The only parts that I have found the Monsters and the Raptors share are the footpegs, front forks and the rubber clamps/straps that hold the wiring harness. Some of the rubber components are shared with some Husqvarna models , for example the rubber mount on the exhaust header pipe under the engine on the 650. The easiest way I have found to find these parts is to go to https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem2.asp?M=cagiva and get the part number and do a google search for that number. You can also download a parts list here http://img.webike.net/sys_images/genuin ... 5-2003.pdf.

This is for the 650, most are the same for the 1000 as far as I know.
Frame - Mv Agusta (M200 was the 1000 frame, M210 was the 650 frame)
frame sticker.jpg
frame sticker.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
Forks - Marzocchi (fitted to some Ducatis models, you may have to check this list, but I think the forks are fitted to the models listed here http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/duc ... -part.html, but I do not know if the end where wheel spindle goes through/calipers mount are different to the Raptors. Have a look at the brembo link below as that may help work out what shares the same calipers and discs. These ends are removed by loosening a very small allen key lock screw, and then the ends screw off.)
Brakes(Calipers) - Brembo (To see what bikes share calipers and discs, go here http://www.cyclebrakes.com/brembo_catalog.pdf
Brakes (Master Cylinders) - Nissin
Rear Shock - Sachs
Electrics (regulator/rectifier) - Suzuki
Electrics - Cagiva or may of been Leonelli in Spain. Leonelli supplied the speedo sensor for the 650. Looking at a Leonelli made wiring harness, there appears to be similar workmanship as on the Cagiva harness, but there are no markings to confirm this. The harness is not Suzuki as the plugs are different.
Tank, Side Covers, Under seat covers, Underseat tray etc - Acerbis(if you look in the fuel cap you'll find a very little acerbis, and on all the parts mentioned. I'd also guess that the fairing on the v-raptor was also made by acerbis, if you can find the Cagiva marking on it, it should have a small acerbis just below it. Also have a look at the seat base, I think it might be made by acerbis too)
Radiator - Cagiva (Have seen on this forum someone graft a SV650 radiator onto their raptor
Crocodile

Post by Crocodile »

Thanks. This is all great stuff. I don't know what the destination will be for this bike, but I do that from Day 1 I want a reliable and safe steed.

Riding it, the brakes feel a bit wooden. I've checked the discs and they are 3.25mm thick. I think they probably need replacing, but I haven't yet found the minimum spec.

I have 2 Ducatis as well, both with 4 piston Brembos on 320mm discs. I also have spare set of 4 piston, 4 pad Brembo calipers from a Ducati 999 which should fit so I'm looking at my options.

So my initial work will be getting the front brakes and suspension sorted and we'll then see what's next.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

The discs should have the minimum thickness stamped on them if they are original, according to the work shop manual the minimum thickness is 3.5mm for the front discs.
You can download a workshop manual here https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kqdfsgyxcjt3 ... manual.pdf