Swingarm movement.

General spannery stuff
Bev0702
On the Road

Swingarm movement.

Post by Bev0702 »

Hi, got movement in my swingarm, 03 raptor 1000, can you get refurb/overhaul kits anywhere? Not very technical lady, is it bearings or bushes? Can anyone advise what I need and where I might get it.

Thanks

Beverley.
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Swingarm movement.

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Bev,

Sorry to hear about your shimmy! Personally, I've not had to look at the actual swing-arm bearings but someone here must have done that and will hopefully chime in...

Nick
Bev0702
On the Road

Post by Bev0702 »

Thanks Nick :D
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

In which direction is the movement? The only way to really tell is to have the bike on a stand that raises the rear wheel off the ground e.g. an abba stand

You can then see if the movement is perpendicular to the direction of travel i.e. it needs the pivot points tightening or is does it allow the wheel to rock left to right i.e. the bearings are gone.

Andy B
Bev0702
On the Road

Post by Bev0702 »

Hi sorry but I'm not technical at all 🙈 does that mean tighten at the swing arm bolt? Yes movement is deffinatly up and down.

Thanks for your help.

Bev
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Bev,

If you have access to the tools, it would certainly be worthwhile to try tightening the main bolt that holds the swing-arm. Recent experience would suggest, however, that the bearings in the arm and, quite likely, in the linkage, are corroded and worn out. Sounds like a workshop job to me, unless you live close enough to another Raptor owner to get help. How many beers do you keep in stock? :wink:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Hmmm... the up and down movement is at what point in the swingarm and how much? Is it at it's pivot point?

Andy B.
Bev0702
On the Road

Post by Bev0702 »

I've managed to narrow the movement down, it's in the shock linkage. Is that likely to be a Bush or bearings? I've looked at an exploded view on OEM'S website, and it suggests needle bearing?

Am I on the right track? Is this the likely offender? 🤣
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Well, it seems to be a popular issue cos we've done this one to death recently!

May I ask how the problem was manifest? Was it picked up at an MOT test or do you get a clonking sound as you go over bumps? How have you narrowed it down to the linkage?

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Reading between the lines while looking at Raptors on ebay, I think this one is going into a workshop for repair, after which it is up for sale. I could be wrong, but the seller's ID is very similar to the enquirers name on here. Seems we were unable to provide sufficient encouragement to keep the rider with us! Sad... :(

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

I think you are right Nick. 8)
Twisted Tequila Sister