On the Road

650IE misfire

Post by Pratz »

Hi,

So here it goes:

Sometimes my rappie is doing the same as this video shows:
[youtube][/youtube]

After a few times here goes the history:

This kind of misfire happens only on front cylinder and when happens the ignition coil shakes as hell... so badly that broke the frame support (had to weld it).
Last time at my workshop the bike was washed and then oil changed, new iridium spark plugs, new brake oil new front pads, sync'd admission, etc ... whole service :nod:
Started the bike runned ok for a few miles 5 or 6, after that started to run like the video with frontcylinder misfire... I could think that was water in fuel, but the tank water drain circuit was cleaned a few weeks ago.

As the ignition coil behaviour is not normal, I'll change it... but if in the future what could probably goes wrong with my bike ? any suggestions?

Regards :revrev:
Pratz
On the Road

Re: 650IE misfire

Post by Pratz »

Update:

After some information of video owner, could be the fuel cap rubber not sealing the tank properly... anyone knows where can I get a replacement rubber for fuel cap ?

Thank you all!
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

its hard to imagine a missfire causing enough vibration to snap a coil bracket. I had a coil fail a few years ago and fitted a tl1000 one but sorry cannot remember which model. are you getting any knocking from the engine?
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Its a 650ie thats having the problems, surely a later SV650 coil would be compatible?

Find it hard to imagine that vibration snapped the coil bracket and that the two problems are linked really???
nil illigitimae carborundum
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Hi,

I'm not sure... but yep coil is equal to sv650 03 to 06 (07 are dual spark). To be sure I'll replace the coil and fuel cap rubber gasket... I know that rubber from fuel cap is not sealing the tank properly! But anyone knows where to get it ? Or dimensions of the rubber? Assuming that's possible to disassemble the fuel cap!

Thank you.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Robinsons Foundry are really good for Suzuki parts and they have parts lists and diagrams on their website for all Suzuki`s
nil illigitimae carborundum
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Pratz wrote:55 years agoHi,

I'm not sure... but yep coil is equal to sv650 03 to 06 (07 are dual spark). To be sure I'll replace the coil and fuel cap rubber gasket... I know that rubber from fuel cap is not sealing the tank properly! But anyone knows where to get it ? Or dimensions of the rubber? Assuming that's possible to disassemble the fuel cap!

Thank you.
If the tank seal is not working, are you sure it's not water in the fuel.

Have you checked the filler neck drain hole recently?
152/999
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Had a similar problem and the culprit was the tps.
You might want to check it if everything else fails
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Hi guys,

First of all thank you for your answers...:happyhappy:

Then
1. TPS Check OK.
2. Water drain hole cleaned and OK.
3. The fuel cap rubber isn't good it has some kind of defect so needed to change.. now I've sent an email to ZADI to get rubber dimensions and material (fingers crossed, but I don't believe to get an answer). I think Viton rubber type B is the best for that, but I've to buy a sheet and cut it .

For what I've measured before disassemble the gas cap : OuterD - 54 mm, Thick - 2mm, any one knows InnerD?
:revrev:
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Ok... disassembled the fuel cap... the rubber is a "nightmare" ! not usual round thing !

It goes like this (as you can see bottom is a little bit damaged)

Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I can't see how the fuel cap rubber could play a part in the misfire...all the fuel cap really has to do is to keep the fuel from getting out, and the rain from getting in, it's not like the fuel tank has to be perfectly sealed and pressurised, the fuel pump does the hard work. If you're struggling to find a replacement rubber then you might be able to use something like threebond http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141060897332 to repair your existing one.

Did you previously have the twin electrode plugs, then only started having issues after fitting iridium single electrode ones? If so I'd try the twin electrode plugs again...
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

If you must replace the filler cap seal then I'm sure that the whole cap assembly is common to other bikes/manufacturers. Mine seems pretty similar if not identical to the one on my Aprilia Falco.So what I'm saying is try and get a spare from a dealer with better spares supply than Cagiva.
However I can't see how water in the fuel can cause a misfire on the front cylider only.
Pratz
On the Road

Post by Pratz »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoI can't see how the fuel cap rubber could play a part in the misfire...all the fuel cap really has to do is to keep the fuel from getting out, and the rain from getting in, it's not like the fuel tank has to be perfectly sealed and pressurised, the fuel pump does the hard work. If you're struggling to find a replacement rubber then you might be able to use something like threebond http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141060897332 to repair your existing one.

Did you previously have the twin electrode plugs, then only started having issues after fitting iridium single electrode ones? If so I'd try the twin electrode plugs again...
No, it has done this with CR8E and now with CR8EIX spark plugs... it only happens after long heavy rain or when I wash the bike ! It no has to bee perfectly sealed but the with a lot of water on top of fuel tank the water drain hole doesn't seem to have the throughput necessary so the rubber has to seal the tank for water not get into. That threebond sounds a good idea...
Fausto wrote:55 years agoIf you must replace the filler cap seal then I'm sure that the whole cap assembly is common to other bikes/manufacturers. Mine seems pretty similar if not identical to the one on my Aprilia Falco.So what I'm saying is try and get a spare from a dealer with better spares supply than Cagiva.
However I can't see how water in the fuel can cause a misfire on the front cylider only.
Nop... no one sell the rubber only, nor aprilia nor triumph nor cagiva, only entire cap (that's around 170€ and have to stay with another key for the tank, less is more :) )... I'll need to go to a "rubber" store to check this out!
Well it seems from front cylinder, don't have 100% sure if not from two cylinders, but the behavior is the same as video shows...
asdean
On the Road

Post by asdean »

I have had similar issues where it appears to be only running on 1 Cylinder. Raptor 2001 650
I do not know your exact problem but I can only share what I have found.
1. Crap in fuel bowl, filter and needle and seat. I have cleaned out the carbies several times and have been amazed that the bike even ran. The small filters behind the needle and seat have been clogged with white stuff. I have also found separated liquid in the fuel bowl and small little orange/brown balls in the bowl.
2. A fellow member suggested I should replace the o'rings on the needle and seats body as this stuff should not be getting into the bowls.
2. Balancing the carbies, every-time the carbs come off the carb's should be balanced otherwise one plug starts going black. Changing the plugs helps and the problem can go away but you can end up changing plugs every 100kms which is rubbish.
3. Cleaning out the drain hole of the cylinder plug, first remove the ignition lead leave plug in place and use a pipe cleaner, then some compressed air to blow out any foreign matter, then put the lead back on.
4. Dirty ignition leads, these should be clean, wipe with a soft white cloth to ensure all oil, grease, water etc is removed, as Phil Irving (Legend) said it's clean when you can wipe it with a white cloth and the cloth is still white, no discolouration.
5. Blocked fuel tank drain, These block up with that sort of white stuff that you find on battery terminals. The the dual skin tank can act like a water/fuel reservoir, and spilled fuel and rain can get into the fuel every-time you lean, or spill fuel during refuelling, or it rains or tip the bike over. Try using compressed air up the drain pipe.
Best of luck.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

asdean wrote:55 years ago5. Blocked fuel tank drain, These block up with that sort of white stuff that you find on battery terminals. The the dual skin tank can act like a water/fuel reservoir, and spilled fuel and rain can get into the fuel every-time you lean, or spill fuel during refuelling, or it rains or tip the bike over. Try using compressed air up the drain pipe.
Best of luck.
Ooh, I love the compressed air idea, after reading on here of this common blockage I've been thinking I should check mine - not that she ever sees much rain, but an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, of course. Taking things apart sounds like a PITA so it's great to get this little tip, thanks for sharing! :happyhappy:
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.