Engine cutting out

General spannery stuff
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Engine cutting out

Post by Fazerstun »

Just a quick q for those in the know. The last couple of times I've taken the Raptor out, I've noticed that the engine is cutting out under braking. It's not happening every time, usually when I've been "making progress" and need to slow down for a roundabout but occasionally it's happening at slow speed. The last time, it cleared once he'd warmed up thoroughly, but this time it was still doing it after 30 miles or so (again - not EVERY time I braked). Have checked battery terminals and there's plenty of fuel in the tank. I have a feeling it's just because the poor thing has been wrapped up outside for a while and not given a bloody good run in a while. I haven't been using the Optimate either (mainly because my mate had mine and didn't give it back until a couple of weeks ago) but the bike's been starting fine and idling ok when I start him up on a weekly basis. Just thought I'd run it by you guys though, just in case there's a known problem :D
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Engine cutting out

Post by shebee »

First thought is water in the fuel, due to the living outside and the change in the weather, also check that the drain hole in the filler is clear, pop round and i will show you and there is some stuff from halfords you can put in the tank. Does it re start immediately ok? Does it come up with an error message and you have to turn it off and on again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Twisted Tequila Sister
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

It's outside but always has a cover on - so doubtful that water's getting into the fuel....... restarts immediately. Just a pain in the arse. Will check drain hole tho, ta. Taking it up to The Ace tomorrow (breakdown number in phone, just in case) hopefully that should clear it. Won't be back til Monday, but if there's still problems, I'll let you know. Cheers me dear :happyhappy:
I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunk, we go to parties.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

you've been washing it haven't you? :o
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I was think a loose or faulty sensor like sidestand or clutch or one of the others, if not have a look in the spark plug wells and make sure there not full of water. If your changing the plugs dont pull them out intil you have cleaned around them just in case theres some muck in there. You dont want anything going down the hole when you pull the plug. :shock: I am not in the know but guessing its something fairly simple
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Update: I rode up to London no problem. Slowing down around London and it rode like a bag of spanners - cutting out every time I stopped unless I kept the revs up. It's now not idling properly either. I need to twiddle the idling knob (ooer) and find this breather hole..... any clues as I is in Larndan and my manual is at home :o
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Fazerstun wrote:55 years agoUpdate: I rode up to London no problem. Slowing down around London and it rode like a bag of spanners - cutting out every time I stopped unless I kept the revs up. It's now not idling properly either. I need to twiddle the idling knob (ooer) and find this breather hole..... any clues as I is in Larndan and my manual is at home :o
:shock: I dont know , this sounds bad ,sure the fuels not contaminated? Have you checked the color of the oil in case theres water in there?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

If you can lift the tank and pull off the return hose from the fuel regulator it should drain most of the tank but get ready to put it back on quick or you will lose all the fuel. try the easy stuff first with bike running and in gear try wiggling side stand and see if thats the problem. Then maybe plugs if you can get some. if its a 1000 try error codes or is fi or oil light flashing?
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Sounds like water in the fuel, buy some dry fuel and add it to the tank, , the water gets into the tank when the drain from the filler neck gets blocked, you wash the bike or it rains, water builds up in the filler neck and drops into the tank when you pop the cap.

If you add some dry fuel before leaving Londinium problem should be cured by the time you are home.
152/999
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

Okies, cheers guys. Problem was getting progressively worse as the day wore on, and it was stalling even when slowing down with gears and no brakes I also had to keep choke full on even at 80 degrees when stopping, and keep the revs up a bit or it would die. I looked at the Power Commander - it was showing as running very lean. I shall pop to Halfords in the morning and get some dry fuel and give it a go :)
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

worth checking your tps too.
You getting any strange indications on your dash? Warning lights or messages?
Hows is the temperature sitting?
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

poohbahhh :( Wynns DryFuel, purple bottle, Halfords or such,
could also be a loose connection but as you can re-start and it's affected by revs it sounds very like a fuel problem
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Try checking the battery. Mine played up on a trip home from Southend , did 70 odd miles & started to cut out . It would would sometimes start on the button but other times not , thought it was an earth problem. Eventually changed the battery which cured the poor running & starting issues .
Fazerstun
Crockery Monitor

Post by Fazerstun »

I'm pretty sure you're right about the fuel problem guys. There's been no error messages or flashing lights. In fact, at speed, he runs like a dream. Maybe it's because he's not been out to play enough - he just doesn't want to stop ;)
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Are you fuel injected? Apparently the injectors can get deposits on them, I ran some fuel injector cleaner through yesterday and that seemed to perk mine up a bit!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.