What did you do to your Raptor today

General spannery stuff
Spyke
On the Road

Re: What did you do to your Raptor today

Post by Spyke »

Today I colour-coded my wiring connections to the stop/tail/plate light/rear indicators. Attached coloured cable (zip) ties over my dodgy crimps so that if/when I have to work in that area I don't have to spend 3 hours working out what goes where again! Job Well Done, methinks! :thumbsup:

Looked at the manuals to see if the specs were there for the instrument cluster bulbs/globes, thinking a nice wee mod might be to swap them out for coloured LEDs. But the books tell you how to change them, not the specifics of what you need to change them for. I know I could take it all apart, but before I get to that stage can I just ask if anyone knows how many of what sort of bulbs are needed? Also I'm unsure what colour I'd like to go with, the creamy light looks OK, but red/blue/green/purple etc etc might be trick! Opinions, anyone?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Well today I went for a good long ride all over the Suffolk/Essex area. 180 miles and it was bloody freezing but great ride all the same. Was with a mate with a 650 Versys and we swapped for a bit. I had been thinking of chopping mine in for one (long story) but bloody glad I didn't. Whilst the Versys is much more roomy and comfortable it hasn't really got enough grunt.. Very linear and how I imagine a big electric motor would be but no excitement. Then again Tony wasn't that keen on the Raptor. He's shorter than me and was wondering how I fold myself onto it. He loved the engine though!
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Made this year first very short test ride after building the bike. :ride:
And everything worked just fine ! All I need is sort out front fender mounting and fit bar end mirrors...
If I dont invent anything else that need to be done. :oops:
Pics hopefully tomorrow !
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

How she looked after test drive :tada:
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

V4mp wrote:55 years agoHow she looked after test drive :tada:
nice work ,looks great

coerce sprocket cover fitted
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ooh, very purdy, doesn't that let all the muck out, though? I'm a bit of a lazy sod, not sure it would suit me!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoOoh, very purdy, doesn't that let all the muck out, though? I'm a bit of a lazy sod, not sure it would suit me!
Thanks, no its not a daily commute so it doesnt get real dirty and is pretty easy to give the area a wipe over now that its exposed. I have the clear clutch side coming soon in plain metal finish (raw) My longer term project is a full yosh header system , pc and dynotune ? once i get the parts i need i will be able to work out how to do the rear spigot pipe. While i am playing with the exhaust i am slowly adding more ti bolts.

ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoToday I colour-coded my wiring connections to the stop/tail/plate light/rear indicators. Attached coloured cable (zip) ties over my dodgy crimps so that if/when I have to work in that area I don't have to spend 3 hours working out what goes where again! Job Well Done, methinks! :thumbsup:

Looked at the manuals to see if the specs were there for the instrument cluster bulbs/globes, thinking a nice wee mod might be to swap them out for coloured LEDs. But the books tell you how to change them, not the specifics of what you need to change them for. I know I could take it all apart, but before I get to that stage can I just ask if anyone knows how many of what sort of bulbs are needed? Also I'm unsure what colour I'd like to go with, the creamy light looks OK, but red/blue/green/purple etc etc might be trick! Opinions, anyone?
I fitted the led tail light today. None of the colored wires matched up , oh well it works anyhoo. Cut off the fugly reflector thingy as well. Its bright :nod: and thats only the parkers!
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

With new cans
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Dante wrote:55 years agoWith new cans
i like those , what make are they and do they come with db killer ?
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

They are greek handmade.
They do come with db killer.
They costed me about 350 euros.
I tried to fit them high,but I had to remove the mud guard and I didn t want to,so I fitted them normally
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Dante wrote:55 years agoWith new cans
Not bad sound at all !
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

Upon discovering a small lake collected in the fillercap recess I unblocked the drain pipe (again).
It always seems to gunk up at the little nipple at the base of the tank. This time I squirted a little ACF50 into the orifice in the hope it may prevent the corrosion that I believe causes the blockage.

Also fitted a new battery last week. I would have gone for a beefier replacement but space is limited so I stuck to the standard battery and that was a tight enough squeeze! Bargain though. A new to me brand called Leoch. Only £28. Works a treat :D
raptor996
On the Road

Post by raptor996 »

Moved her out of the garage, washed her & fitted new front brake pads.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

raptor996 wrote:55 years agoMoved her out of the garage, washed her & fitted new front brake pads.
Ooh, what pads did you go for, and how are you finding them?

Anyway today I adjusted my Scottoiler, as she'd emptied herself prematurely, and the whole business of priming and flow rate setting took a while, resulting in my baby being quite toasty for a garage run. After I turned her off I hung around to check that the Scottoiler had stopped oiling, and about a minute after I turned her off my baby did a little widdle on the floor! I looked to see where it came from, and it was coming out of the drain tube that comes down behind the engine offside near the brake pedal. I haven't changed the coolant as she's never really seemed to get too hot, but I thought I may as well whip the panel off and have a look, as the seat was off already. I didn't notice the fan coming on while I was playing about.

Hot, probably about 115-120 C, too much coolant:
Hot.jpg
Hot.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 7473 times
Cold again, 68 C, not enough coolant:
Cold.jpg
Cold.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 7473 times
So that seems like a LOT of heat expansion to me, or does that seem about right to you lot? I will change the coolant this week, and read the workshop manual cooling chapter, but wondered if I should I be concerned about my pump not pumping, or my fan not fanning, or should I just not run her in the garage?

[As an aside these pictures also confirm to me that Cagiva and/or Gecko m/c in Canberra didn't have their best staff on the job when my baby was assembled, in the first picture you can see the OEM placement of the lower side panel clip grommet has the "flat side" up, whereas I think it should really be flat side down, so the flat side does not interfere with the flange to frame weld, my theory as to flat side positioning is supported by the other side of the bike having flat side down!]