3000 rpm gritch at temperature under 80 deg C

General spannery stuff
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: 3000 rpm gritch at tepmeratute under 80 deg C

Post by Crap Tartan »

xraptor8 wrote:55 years agoRecently had a new clutch cable and actuator fitted.

I commute 8 miles into central london every day, and this has never been an issue.

Occasionally she is chuggy at lower temps, but I never had the full glitch that many of you seem to have experienced, and now it has reared it's ugly head.

Tried adjusting the clutch lever thinking it was that, or related to the freeplay, but this only marginally improves or worsens the 'jump' that occurs at 3K.

Ran the diagnostic test (jumper wire into block in dealer mode), and the LCD showed that my TPS was correct (although I had to get the revs to around 1700RPM for the dash symbol to move upwards, as opposed to the recommended 1400, so now I'm really confused.

Also, my display showed -c000 whereas I thought it was supposed to be c- (was this a typo in the instructions?).

Bike now definitely needs to be around 70 degrees or higher to run smoothly.

Taking her back to mechanic on Tuesday for further investigations.......may have to invest in this magic black box.
You have answered your own questions already, it has actually showed that your TPS is wrong, the display is wrong and the revs are wrong. Go back to basics and start again and take note of readings and dont move on until things are correct or you have adjusted them to within tolerance.

At the end of the day it is almost certainly the 3k glitch raising its head, this issue can appear at any time, other settings can disguise or exacerbate it but this will end with a black box type solution to overcome it.

Best of luck.....................
nil illigitimae carborundum
raptor996
On the Road

Re: 3000 rpm gritch at temperature under 80 deg C

Post by raptor996 »

I know this may not be the same issue but when i first got my bike some three or more years ago it to had a bad glitch at 3k. After looking around on this site i came across mention of the clutch switch, the one that stops it starting when in gear. So i fiddled around a bit,I started the bike as normal then disconected the switch and went for a spin , all ok. Up untill that point anything around the 3k mark was a night mare. So now i have mounted a simple on of switch under the clutch leaver/ on start bike/ once running flick it off. Not sure what this all does, must be some thing to do with the ecu but have had no problems since.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

The clutch switch issue is related to the ecm and is usually sorted by installing a tre and the 3k glitch is a temperature related issue and can be sorted by frigging the sensor output to the ecm to make it think its hotter than it actually is thus making the ecm use a glitch free map!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoThe clutch switch issue is related to the ecm and is usually sorted by installing a tre and the 3k glitch is a temperature related issue and can be sorted by frigging the sensor output to the ecm to make it think its hotter than it actually is thus making the ecm use a glitch free map!
I havent really felt the glitch on my rap although i really noticed it on my last tl . Wait until winter i think it may be different
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Does powercommander with custom map solve problem ?
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Solve which problem?
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoSolve which problem?
I think he mean 3k glitch? I was looking for dealer mode switch/plug but i could not find it. Maybe its different position or a different sort of plug to tl ,which is usually at the back of bike under cowl. Only plug i could find is that large one off to the ride hand side attatched to panel ? Also when setting the tps -c00 you need to have the bike at operating temperature fwiw I found that sometimes you have to over correct because when you tighten up the torx bolts the tps can change, its very sensitive, just recheck once you have tightened the bolts , just my .02c
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Yup,everything is pretty much correct there Ozzraptor, tps is sensetive and hard to set but i do mine using a multimeter rather than the display for easier reading and accuracy.

A PC itself will not fix the 3k glitch unless you could customise a map yourself then apply that to each map the ecm uses depending on gear selected etc.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoA PC itself will not fix the 3k glitch unless you could customise a map yourself then apply that to each map the ecm uses depending on gear selected etc.
If you have PC with custom map, made by pro. Then it is "ideal" for your bike right ?
Or does standard ECU run bike still richer A/F ratio even with PC when engine is cold and 3k clitch is stilll there ?
I cant understand this stuff.. :pinch:
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

When your bike is "custom mapped" it will be running above the dreaded 80 degrees C, consequently the fueling adjustments will be made to the "hot map".

I've had my bike "custom mapped" twice ( 'cos I'm a faffer) and the glitch was evident until I carried out CT's mod to fool the ecu.

CT's mod will also save you cash, as obviously the bike comes off the cold map earlier. :happyhappy:
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

TLPower wrote:55 years agoWhen your bike is "custom mapped" it will be running above the dreaded 80 degrees C, consequently the fueling adjustments will be made to the "hot map".

I've had my bike "custom mapped" twice ( 'cos I'm a faffer) and the glitch was evident until I carried out CT's mod to fool the ecu.

CT's mod will also save you cash, as obviously the bike comes off the cold map earlier. :happyhappy:
Now I understand. :)
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoThe clutch switch issue is related to the ecm and is usually sorted by installing a tre and the 3k glitch is a temperature related issue and can be sorted by frigging the sensor output to the ecm to make it think its hotter than it actually is thus making the ecm use a glitch free map!
Mate could you make me one of them black box 3k glitch killer thing'ys with enough wire to go to the bars ? Let me know the cost etc :toocool:
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Ozz,

can make you one of my black box thingummy`s but it sorts out the 3k glitch related to temperature and nothing to do with the clutch switch issue and differant gear maps??

Have you looked at the pics of mine installed in "tps reset" thread as it dont go up to the bars ?
I suppose it could be fitted around the handlebar area but finding somewhere and making it look decent is another thing...........................
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoHey Ozz,

can make you one of my black box thingummy`s but it sorts out the 3k glitch related to temperature and nothing to do with the clutch switch issue and differant gear maps??

Have you looked at the pics of mine installed in "tps reset" thread as it dont go up to the bars ?
I suppose it could be fitted around the handlebar area but finding somewhere and making it look decent is another thing...........................
Yeah i had a look at your bike, i like the concept . Especially for those cold days when it takes a lot longer to warm up to the right temp. Easy just to flick a switch. Once bike warms up do you have to flick the switch back again or just leave and ride but definitely count me in for one! I bet theres a few on the tl and sv forums that wouldnt mind one of these either as i dont know of anything else like it
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Ok, will build you one, switch in off position to start bike then switch on, leave in on position all the time unless in stopped traffic an temperature gets very high.
Thats it!
Once installed and adjusted, if needed, just switch it off to start then leave it on.

I dont mind you spreading the word on the TL/SV forum or wherever.