Speedo stopped working

General spannery stuff
HydE
On the Road

Re: Speedo stopped working

Post by HydE »

Thanks for reply Nick!
i will first replace this bolt then, will GSXr or TLs speed rotor fit?

cheers

HydE
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

HydE wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for reply Nick!
i will first replace this bolt then, will GSXr or TLs speed rotor fit?

cheers

HydE
Can't answer that, I'm afraid. Without taking the cover off (I'm in bed as I write), I don't know how many blocks that rotor should have, but from the recent photo it looks like 5 or 6. I would think the TL part would be perfect, given the gearing was similar.

Nick
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

good morning,

i checked OEM parts page and apparently it is supposed to be 4 teeth speedo sensor

https://www.ebay.it/itm/333722284742?mk ... olid=10001

cant explain the extra holes on my bike though :/ i own it for 2 years now, maybe i made 2k on it, cant ride much lately due to family. i will try to go with Suzi's parts :)

cheers
HydE
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Well done for tracing that. I would expect the blocks are integral with the disc, so some previous owner must have decided he could convert mph into kph or vice versa. A mechanic friend of mine was pretty sure that that was done by fitting the correct rotor behind the cover. That begs the question as to whether the ebay item you found is mph or kph.

OK, I've just done what I should have done earlier, and looked at the one on my 1K. It does have four lugs on it, and this is a UK bike and reads mph numbers correctly, although the display says kph! It's been said that you have to get into the circuit-board of the display to change that but I've never bothered, so long as the numbers are right. :nod:

Nick
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

Found 4 teeth rotor here locally and its already on its way. I think that few of the rods did fall out, i remember seeing 250 kmh on a highway before it lost signal, and we didnt go that fast🤣 part is on its way, hopefully this will solve some issues with the meter, i dont really care even if i will have miles, as long as it shows something on check up😊
Will keep you good fellas posted,
Cheers
Hyde
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

Hello again,
i swapped the parts now and speedo is still not working... so i will move to electrical part :/
stay tuned for new episodes of i cant believe its still not working :D
cheers
HydE
Attachments
speedesenzor.JPG
speedesenzor.JPG (149.23 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
TiTaNoKg

Post by TiTaNoKg »

Hello guys! I have the same problem. My RPM gauge wasn't working and the display is not showing anything.
The RPM meter i finnaly repaired...i replaced a burnt resistor and a 12volts zener diode, from the rpm side.
Now I can't figure it out how to make the speedo display work.
I had a lot of dirt in the blinkers button, which altered the function of dashboard. I cleaned it all. I cleaned also the lights button just to be sure there is no dirt in the contacts that can alter the dasboard functions. I cleaned the main connection under the tank, it was light dirt, nothing to worry, but i wanted to be sure.
If any of you have any idea how to make the LCD display work I would appreciate.
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

Hello, Hyde here with an update,

i was working on installing the new blinkers, im removing that small LED baracuda's because my TI will give me hard time for that this year. and as i was removing the last pair.. i noticed that black connector in front of the computer box was disconnected, probably due to bad installation of blinkers from previous owners or the vibrations did it on the highway for me. anyway i put those two together and speedo now works just fine :D
i got number before the km/h unit so that was probably it. i didnt test it yet to see if that speed sensor now works fine or not. in the meantime i manage to drop the bike from the trailer when going for tire swap so now i am in a middle of a major rework that bike needed anyway. i got new seat leathers now with retro stitches, im switching to new mirrors and85 superbike handlebar. my clutch and brake levers will also be replaced (just installed new one before the crash :/ ). Major problem is the rear brake pedal. the footrest broke off and i couldnt find it. so any info on which brake pedal is compatible? i cant find any at the moment, so im leaning towards the drilling the hole in pedal handle and installing removable foot peg on it.

so TL DR: issue for my speedo not working was loose connector on the back side of the bike, now im migrating to other bike repair topics :)
cheers
Hyde
Attachments
the connection
the connection
2021-07-02.jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
meter
meter
2021-07-02 (1).jpg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 2169 times