Original Chain WARNING

General spannery stuff
Fausto
On the Road

Re: Original Chain WARNING

Post by Fausto »

...... and I'm about to go for a 15t front so that comes to 2.66 so I'm safe ??

I can't see any logic to this. Would Vassilis67 like to explain ?
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

When the ratio is a whole number, a specific link of the chain comes to a contact with a specific tooth of the sprockets every time - i don't know if i got it right in english - so in case of a small fault in the construction of the sprocket or the links of the chain - which is common in the industry - the wear of the whole system in a small amount of time or miles is inevitable.

I 'll come back to this after a good dive in my university books and in a good dictionary.
It's all greek to me....
ZA.Raptor
On the Road

Post by ZA.Raptor »

Would anyone know if the original chain has "ORP" stamped every 5 links or so, and also 1 link stamped with "Regina" ?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've only had my Raptor 1000 for a few months so I don't know the history.

Thanks chaps.
asdean
On the Road

Post by asdean »

I managed to safely obtain 19,000 km out of my chain and sprockets without any problems, but I did lube the chain every 300 km.
I changed the rear sprocket, forcing front sprocket replacement and DID X ring chain to lower the revs from 45 to 43 teeth.
I have replaced the front sprocket with a Renthal and the rear with a 43T GSXR SRAD 600 750, 525 originally 120 hub bored out to 121mm.
As for prime numbers I'm not really sure and I'm a 20 year degree qualified mechanical engineer, conveyor chain design suggests that sprockets should always be an odd number, so that you always have a different chain link connecting a different sprocket tooth.
My best advice is to keep the chain oiled at least every second ride, I do like castrol chain lube and DID x ring chains, well adjusted and clean.
String lining the wheels is always a good idea, as chain adjuster marks are not reliable enough.
Cheers
Al
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I just fitted a 41t tl sprocket. It really wasn't too hard to linish the inside to fit the cagiva carrier. The original setup had 10,000 klms on it ,the oem 40t alloy sprocket looked good apart from deep gauging by the chain suggesting the original combination of 16/40 is bad for chain and sprocket wear. Probabally doesnt matter if your not doing mileage like myself and just use the bike for a sunday ride :ride:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

asdean wrote:55 years agoAs for prime numbers I'm not really sure and I'm a 20 year degree qualified mechanical engineer, conveyor chain design suggests that sprockets should always be an odd number, so that you always have a different chain link connecting a different sprocket tooth.
Too funny! We spraffed about the prime number thing last year... http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=4087
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years agoI just fitted a 41t tl sprocket. It really wasn't too hard to linish the inside to fit the cagiva carrier. The original setup had 10,000 klms on it ,the oem 40t alloy sprocket looked good apart from deep gauging by the chain suggesting the original combination of 16/40 is bad for chain and sprocket wear. Probabally doesnt matter if your not doing mileage like myself and just use the bike for a sunday ride :ride:
Not sure I'd be happy with a hand finished sprocket on my bikes, they rely on the bore to centralise them, so you could end up with varying chain tension as the wheel rotates.
152/999
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, wouldn't the sprocket nuts be slightly out of place if there was a problem? I suppose it depends on what "linish" means, it's not an Aussie term I've come across before, but then again I'm a relatively new import, 17 years and counting. But varying chain tension from wheel rotation plus varying chain tension from normal chain aging could be a recipe for disaster.

Anyway I'm 100% positive the OEM chain on my Xtra had no markings, the only thing that looked interesting about it was that the rivets looked square and round at the same time!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Taken from Wiki

Linishing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linish is an engineering term that refers to the process of using grinding or belt sanding techniques to improve the flatness of a surface. The flatness may be two-dimensional, i.e. with the view of achieving a flat plate, or one-dimensional, e.g. with the view of achieving a perfectly cylindrical shape. The machine that does this may be called a linisher or a linish grinder. The technique may also be used, with finer grades of grindstone or sanding belt, to polish a surface.

If I was going down this route I would have the centre of the sprocket machined out on a lathe so it remained concentric with the teeth.

The bolts are there to stop the procket from spinning, not to hold it central, that is the job of the centre bore and boss on the wheel.
152/999
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ah cool, that's two things I've learned today, cheers!
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoAh cool, that's two things I've learned today, cheers!
Every day should be a school day.
152/999
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Going on about boring out sprockets. I found when replacing the rear, was if you ordered your steel sprocket according to the part number, they didn't fit as they were a hairs too small of hole to fit over the carrier.
Now you could try a whole batch and one might fit. So I got someone with a lathe to make the carrier fit the sprocket. Sprockets number is the same as a Busa funny enough. At least now I know they fit first time!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Hyabusa and TL 99 - 07 are the same size with 120mm centers ,not sure about later ? with Cagiva raptor 1000 121mm :blink: I did check for runout after fitting my tl 41T Talon sprocket and it was in perfect alignment , and the holes coincidentally were centered as well fwiw ,but if your not confident of doing this yourself then find someone with a lathe as you did that way you can rest easy :D
Hairy_Mark
Hirsute Maximus Spanner...I do Technical Me ;)

Post by Hairy_Mark »

Hurray!
Something about my Raptor has done better than everybody else's. It is still lovely with no serious sprocket wear, but I'm getting a new x-ring chain with the Dymag carbon wheels and alloy rear sprocket. I thought that it made no sense to get lovely light wheels and keep the old heavy chain and sprocket. It looks like that was a wise move.

I hope your man is alright. I've only ever had one chain snap on me and that was on a CBR600 years ago. The experience was: panic, pull clutch lever in, coast silently and surreally past cars at 90 mph (sorry, I might have got mixed up there, I'm sure the motorway speed limit is 70 now that I think about it, so I couldn't have been going faster), drift up the slip road, stop and curse. Get well soon, mate!

Other than a chain snapping, the worst I had was on an FZR 1000 Exup, when the back end locked up going (in a straight line) up a hill. When I brought it slithering to a halt and inspected the rear end (the bike's, not mine, though mine was probably not in good shape at the time either) there was a pair of gents trousers wrapped around the rear sprocket. To this day I don't have a clue how they were on an 'A' road, let alone got caught up in my chain!

It looks like Cagiva skimped on a few parts.
Legal disclaimer :
The author has recently been declared sane.
He thanks Dr Foster for this and hopes his
clothes dry out after the puddle incident.
Giocast
On the Road

Post by Giocast »

I like that this thread is still running and useful/relevant after 12 years - I just got a time-warp 1000 with under 4K miles on it so will check chain carefully.