Suspension again

Chat about anything
sidrat
On the Road

Suspension again

Post by sidrat »

So i have fitted the falco shock and tried the cheap fix with the two polo shaped 10mm washers top and bottom in the forks and thinner oil.

The biggest difference however has been the handlebars!!! I have gone from straight bars back to standard sized (i guess!) renthal bars, its a different bike.

More weight on the back helps with the Falco shock, but i am tempted to buy a Hagon and use the risers again, that seemed to suit it best, but the front needs to be resolved first.

Back at the front i have removed one of the 10mm spacers from the top, but it is still far too harsh and skips across the road.

I have another set of innards to try the cut and reweld solution but to be honest the Andriana inserts are available from Italy for £385 delivered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363385863687 So that might be the way to go, anyone else used them?
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Suspension again

Post by nickst4 »

The Matris ones work well for me but, uniquely in my experience, they fitted such light springs front and back that static sag was enormous and the bike threatened to topple back off the side-stand! It was bad enough to blow the fork seals over a big bump too. I have both ends set for maximum preload now. Whether they mis-read my stated specs and riding style I don't know. Conversely, Nitron went far too far the other way with the shock for the 650ie: already one change and it's still too hard. :angry:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

That is unusual, my experience is the Nitron one where the weight of the spring is always too much.

I once worked for a suspension manufacturer and at the time it was the answer to everything!
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

but it is still far too harsh and skips across the road.
Basically the forks are shite.... just no damping what so ever.
the Andriana inserts are available from Italy for £385 delivered
I notice they are listed for a Cagiva Raptor 1000 08 - 2010 - I didn't realise they made them in those years?

Post Brexit you'll also need to pay import duty....
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

What was it Colin Chapman of Lotus fame said "Soft springs & firm damping".

Not sure if that is applicable to motorcyles too
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

andybaggies wrote: 2 years ago What was it Colin Chapman of Lotus fame said "Soft springs & firm damping".

Not sure if that is applicable to motorcyles too
That works for my R/C cars!
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

So i have been riding the Raptor quite a bit recently as the Aprilia has been in the Garage waiting for a new Clutch and headlight under warranty and the GSXR needs a frame swap.

After changing the handlebars i have really enjoyed it, except the brakes and suspension.

I am still wondering about a total front shock replacement but put off that it takes it too far from original.

Did the X-Factor (raptor) have the same forks but simply with different cartridges? or a different fork all together?
Roadsters are me!
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Post Brexit you'll also need to pay import duty....
Not had to so far, maybe i have been lucky!
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Did the X-Factor (raptor) have the same forks but simply with different cartridges? or a different fork all together?
I understood them to be fully adjustable but if they were the same forks with different internals I wouldn't know... they were 43 mm Marzocchis with the same brake caliper castings so I suspect they are.

But you're probably talking hens teeth.
except the brakes
I use EBC Pro Lite discs matched with their double H pads and that firms the braking up quite well when combined with a thorough caliper clean & grease and replacement fluid.

Discs don't last long mind.
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Yes Andy, I also have the best pads i can get in them, but they are as wooden as a tree, i think a calliper strip over winter is in order. I replaced the single hose with double braded lines, so if the strip doesn't work then a larger master cylinder is the last resort. My mate has a Ducati 749 with the same callipers and they work well, so i know good brakes are possible.

Just need the time and money to get them done as it will be a fantastic bike and a keeper when i do.
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Sid,

I've mentioned the saga of my front Brembos on the Raptor 1K before, which were poor and then positively dangerous when fitted with new seals and stainless pistons, due to extreme internal stiction. The final answer was to swap them with some decent s/h ones off a Ducati ST which work fine, as the same calipers do on my own ST4. It's hard to believe that Brembos quality control could be that bad, but Powerhouse, the caliper rebuilders, strongly suspected that was the case.

Go carefully!

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

i think a calliper strip over winter is in order.
For the full strip I just used the bog stock Brembo caliper seal kit, gently cleaned the pistons with ultra fine wet/dry and assembled with the grease provided & red rubber grease with a good smear of the latter around the join where the piston and caliper meet (after they have been inserted). Kikkoman soy sauce bottles are great when bleeding :D

I use mine through the winter so a couple of cleans would consist of pumping the pistons out a little, wiping clean the old grease (that has caught all the road crap), clean the pistons/calipers and then another smear of red grease - zip ties are ideal grease applicators. And it's one of those jobs you have to get into a zen zone for.

And lastly a squirt of summat suitable on the lever/piston on the master cylinder side. I've had this go squeaky & sticky before now.

Perhaps a change of discs to go with the pads, are they the originals?

Andy B
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Thanks Andy

Yes the disks are original, the bike had only done 4k when i bought it, now 7.5k so not ready for a swap out just yet.
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yes the disks are original
Could that be (part of) the problem? can discs 'age' or perhaps get contaminated with old pad material and loose their performance :?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Dunno about ageing, but if discs collect pad material, it usually deposits in areas where fresh pads have been held in contact as they cool and it leads to juddering rather than lack of retardation. I'd take some fine wet&dry to the discs and see if that helps at all. The same treatment for the pads on a flat surface would be worthwhile too. You'd then know the friction surfaces are good, and it'll be down to whether the caliper pistons are moving freely.

Nick