Shebee syndrome?

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

Shebee syndrome?

Post by nickst4 »

I didn't ride the big Raptor much last year (or anything else in truth), and the couple of times I've been out on it recently, I've had nasty transient cramps in both of my hip joints. This is because of old age I'm sure (I'm appreciably older than the biblical allowance of three-score and ten), but the low seat height and high footrests make for an acute angle, thigh-to-torso. I actually lowered the footrests on the 1K last year, to try to match the relationship Cagiva moved to on the later 650 when they modified the footrest hangers, and it felt better, but not enough obviously.

Apart from more practice, my only possible move is to wear boots without elevator soles that have helped me a lot on taller bikes but are definitely not needed on Raptors. Either that, or ditch a favourite bike and go for a comfortable replacement like our esteemed leader Shebee did when her joints called enough. Dianne, who is shorter in the leg and more supple than me and likes the Raptors a lot, will naturally point out that there are already alternative bikes cramming the garage, but a Ducati Scrambler would be an interesting change! :nod:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Shebee syndrome?

Post by shebee »

:suspect: Don't you go blaming me!

(I have done more miles on the scrambler in the last year and a half than i have done on all the others put together in the previous 5 so it obviously was the right call for me)
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Hey Shebs, it ain't your fault! :o

Glad to hear that you found your sweet spot in bikes with the 1100 Scrambler. I have a sneaking feeling that it'd do everything I want in a bike, so long as the suspension is better than on the average Monster. Been there, loved the look, but never gelled with the M-bikes which tend to have stiff suspension. The 800 Scrambler Desert Sled ought to ride well over poor roads though, given it's more than a trendy styling exercise.

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Well, I'm pleased to say I had a good ride on the 1K today without any joint problems, so a much-loved bike will stay chez moi. I'm tentatively putting it down to taking a magnesium malate food supplement that is supposed to prevent cramp, which has been a pain in bed recently too. Researching the subject, I came across the baffling information that Americans call muscle cramp "Charley Horse"! :roll: Does anyone have an explanation for that, because Wikipaedia seems to take it as read?

At least the magnesium won't add much weight to me or the bike. :lol:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Glad to hear that… magnesium Is a good call if it works for yu

I take MSM (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... ethane-msm ) everyday and it definitely helps. Its one of those that you stop taking it by negligence and a week or so later you think why are my legs feeling like shite… oh yes and start taking it again and it gets better!

I was initially introduced to it by a vet who used it for horses and the only place I could get it was the local equine supply place, working out the dosage was challenging I eventually decided I was a Thewell Pony . Now 20+ years later i can buy it in tablet form from Healthspan!

:woot:
Twisted Tequila Sister