Newbie Raptor 1000 Owner

Chat about anything
Rapnet

Newbie Raptor 1000 Owner

Post by Rapnet »

Just agreed to buy a V-Raptor 1000 which I'll have tomorrow. Seems to be good honest bike but I have never owned a Cagiva before so not really sure what to expect as an owner so will be searching the forum for tips and information and undoubtedly asking silly newbie questions :D .
nickst4
On the Road

Re: Newbie Raptor 1000 Owner

Post by nickst4 »

Welcome Rapnet!

It sounds as though you haven't had the pleasure of riding one of these beasts before but so long as the power from the TL1000 engine doesn't take you by surprise, I think we can say that there are few hidden problems with the model, despite it's exotic appearance. As with any bike, everyone has their preferences about suspension, but the fairly basic kit on the Raptors may suit you OK, so long as the shock linkage hasn't seized up. That will depend on mileage and weather conditions, but we've seen a few Raptors that looked like they'd been ridden through the sea! Hopefully, yours is in tidy condition.

The motors are bombproof and even the electrics are good, plus the handling is excellent. A feature of the bikes is their light weight, as is the low riding height. Hopefully, your legs aren't too long!

Anyway, enjoy it and feel free to ask for advice.

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Welcome in :D Cagivas are not really different from other makes - but they do have a little more style :)

Silly newbie questions are still valid questions... so fire away.

Andy B
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum... enjoy your new bike! :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Rapnet

Post by Rapnet »

Many thanks. I'd post a picture as-is but not worked out how to do that just yet.

Although it's a V-Raptor the chap had taken the bits off so it's setup with a standard headlight and higher bars etc. I've got the other bits and need to work out what goes where, sort of 3d jigsaw. Don't suppose any of the documentation has exploded diagrams!

Not ridden it yet as managed to snap a tendon in my middle finger so it's strapped up (doh!), so been looking over what I can with one hand sort of out of action. There's a Datatool under the seat but previous chap had no idea if it's an alarm or immobilizer and had no instructions or fobs so will have to look into that as well. Are these standard or aftermarket items.

Rest seems good honest bike. Could do with a tidy overall and different exhausts but that's being picky.

Mark
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

Hey Mark, if you're after exploded diagrams download the workshop manual and parts manual from my google drive here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Cheers :ride:
Rapnet

Post by Rapnet »

Excellent thanks HiFi
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I would think the Datatool is an aftermarket alarm, as nothing like that was fitted from new, so far as I know. If it's an alarm, be aware that they drain the battery rather quickly. The one I had fitted to the ST4 means I need to charge the battery every couple of weeks without any other drains on it, whereas other bikes in the garage without alarms keep all their power for months.

Sorry to hear about the digit. That must be painful!

Nick
Rapnet

Post by Rapnet »

Thanks Nick.

Traced main parts of the wiring and it's an alarm, complete with speaker unit with it's own 9v battery still attached and even found one of the panel sensor switches. No idea if it's been partially disabled somehow or if it's a potential issue for the future.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

It won't work without a dongle, unless it's a very primitive alarm that might have a setting switch. I don't suppose DataTool will be helpful either, you not being the original purchaser. Possibly you could use the connections with a new one though, if you need it. As you say, something to think about...

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

The motors are bombproof....
Whilst I don't disagree this got me thinking, what motors in say, this century, haven't been bomb proof?

I sometimes hear that BMs are not always as resilient as you may expect but I can't think of many others?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

As a Ducati enthusiast, I'd have to admit they are more fragile/needful of attention than the Suzy lump we enjoy in our Raptors. Mind you, none of my Ducati engines have ever let me down... :roll:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

nickst4 wrote: 2 years ago As a Ducati enthusiast, I'd have to admit they are more fragile/needful of attention than the Suzy lump we enjoy in our Raptors. Mind you, none of my Ducati engines have ever let me down... :roll:

Nick
Sad to say Nick, plenty of mine have :shock:
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Sad to say Nick, plenty of mine have
Yeah, my old bevel is playing to type also :(