1000 raptor blowing fuses

Chat about anything
wary64

1000 raptor blowing fuses

Post by wary64 »

Hi all i have just signed up and i already am looking for a bit of help.
I have a 2000 raptor 1000 which has had a hard life , it has just over 100000 km on it but still starts easily and has been running well.
It was a bit of a track bike and judging by the state of the rear tyre when i purchased it it was ridden hard.

it has started blowing the injection fuse at random times (second fuse down). the fuse will blow i roll to a stop it may blow again when replaced but with in a couple of minutes it can be replaced and restarts.
I cant think of any common link to what i was doing when it went but it wasnt under hard load but i may have been changing gears.
the word 'check' comes up on the dash but there are no codes when in dealer mode.
the only other issue is that every now and then it will have a hickup at speed which is not fun but has not been a serious issue.
I have bypassed the side stand switch but the issue happens the first time before i did this. i also replaced the fuel pump after it happened the first time i did not fully rewire the pump just replaced the leads it came with

any ideas on what is on this circuit i could look at sorry for the long first post but i am at a dead end and there are very limited mechanics who have any idea about these bike around here in fact one even asked me how to spell cagiva.

regards
Ian
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: 1000 raptor blowing fuses

Post by andybaggies »

The second fuse down is marked ignition on the fuse box cover and from what I can ascertain from the manual (page g22) this goes through the engine stop switch to power the ECM and also to power the coils.

So perhaps you have a dodgy connection on one of the coils, they're farty little connectors too and are prone to water/furrying/corrosion etc. Or perhaps you have a dickie coil that's on it's way out. I've had one go before now - for no apparent reason although I suspect the spark plug connector was on it's way out as well.

Check will come up, if for example you engage gear whilst the stand is down.

Best of luck...

Andy B
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

And, of course, it'd be wise to check any of the connectors/harness/wires on the above path.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I'd be looking around where the main harness runs around the steering head and the wires go into it from the right hand switch gear. I'd also try it with the bike switched on but not running, and change through all the gears, as it maybe the gear position sensor causing the issues.