650ie: so far, so good but...

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

650ie: so far, so good but...

Post by nickst4 »

Having sorted the shock linkage, serviced the forks, got the seat re-upholstered and fitted LED bulbs in various places, I've been riding the little blue job prior to letting Dianne loose on it. The motor is very good, as are the brakes, but I found myself strangely bothered by its low-speed handling. Hard to put it into words, apart from a tendency to wobble on take-off, but I just lacked confidence on it. Now I find the Conti Road Attack tyres are not only flatted on the rear but the front has a ratchet pattern of wear on the tread blocks which must be causing a distinct vagueness in the steering, sufficient to put me right off. A nice new pair of Avon Storm 3D radials (my favourites) should put that right.

It'll be interesting to compare the ride qualities with the 1K. Even with a comfy seat on the 650, I reckon the 1K deals with our rotten roads much better, as it should with a shed-load of money spent on Matris fork cartridges and shock!

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: 650ie: so far, so good but...

Post by shebee »

The Triumph tiger 900 I had used to do the ratchet thing on the front tyre.., and once it started it got worse fast... on one occasion I ended up changing a front tyre half way across France as it had rapidly become unrideable (at least in a group of fast riders with camping gear!) :o
Twisted Tequila Sister