New Additions to the Garage

Chat about anything
Aussiejoe
On the Road

New Additions to the Garage

Post by Aussiejoe »

Have added 2 more Cagivas to the garage, both Navigators. First one has 24000 kilometres on the clock, was told it was in VGC and after hiring a trailer and driving 5 hours to get it (10 hour round trip), I found it had been in storage for 2 years in a salt water environment, the forks were rusty and the brakes were seized, but for $3000 AUD I couldn't go home without it.
55533158_10156985730521212_3357988857181110272_o(1).jpg
55533158_10156985730521212_3357988857181110272_o(1).jpg (200.36 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
After about 6 weeks and finding more and more issues with it, I decided, what the hell, I can use it as a parts bike, so I bought a second one in far better condition with 48000 kilometres on the clock for $4000.
66415079_2426902557372535_5709570446303690752_o.jpg
66415079_2426902557372535_5709570446303690752_o.jpg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
This pic is from our first trip on it, quite happy that I can do 100km/h across the dirt fully loaded with the Misso(llaneous) on the back. The seat had been re-done for comfort, and have added hard saddle bags and crash bars since this pic was taken. Has staintune pipes from the silver one, and sounds awesome! Also has a GiPro TRE/gear indicator and smart radiator switch. Only things to be added is the bigger top box(waiting for the rack), spot lights, Crap Tartan's black box mod and a McCruise electronic cruise control.

I'm surprised the attention it gets, all the staff at the local accessories shop come out to have a look, and the Manager owned a Raptor and never knew about the Navigtors, and the owner at the breakers looked it over with a fine tooth comb as he'd never seen one in the flesh, he thought it had the SV650 engine.

One day I'll find the money to powdercoat and put my Raptor 650 back together, but at the moment concentrating on the Navi. At least having my Raptor apart I can help people out if they want pics or want to know anything specific about the Raptors. It's also surprising what parts are shared between the 2 models. Hopefully I won't need to ask for too much help here about the 1000 motor, the search function still seems fully operational :woot:

As a side note, a co-worker has a 2017 V-strom, and every issue he has with his bike, were already taken care of by Cagiva, over 10 years prior. He hates the mess of wiring under the seat which Cagiva had much tidier, and still cover with a plastic seat undertray, and that his brake lines on the front wheel are hanging out in the open, where Cagiva tuck them all away. Love my Cagivas, don't ever see any other brand in my garage! :thumbsup:
susibee
On the Road

Re: New Additions to the Garage

Post by susibee »

You lucky bugger, a ride and spares!
I used to have a TDM850 in a former life and loved that "adventure" look and seating position, great for touring.
Quite envious :D
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

Nice bike,
I have been looking at them lately as well, congrats
Saludos desde Canarias
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

susibee wrote: 4 years ago I used to have a TDM850 in a former life
I test rode a TDM850 when they first released them in Australia and quite liked the idea of a road chassis with long travel suspension. Ended up buying a Kawasaki GTR1000 as I have a preference for shaft drives. A couple of years ago bought a Honda Deauville 700 for a 2 up touring bike to take the Missus on, but it isn't a bike that makes you excited about going for a ride on, and I think she was secretly trying to tell me something!
20181125_113402.jpg
20181125_113402.jpg (132.33 KiB) Viewed 5584 times
El Vikingo Tropical wrote: 4 years ago I have been looking at them lately as well
Be aware mate, parts are harder to get than the Raptors, chain sliders being one of them. There's also a rubber pipe from the fuel tank to the fuel pump that tapers from about 8mm to 14mm with a right angle bend that perishes that isn't available and need to find a reducer to replace it. The lower engine cover also is not available, it is plastic and the heat from the engine makes it go brittle and cracks.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Message this guy about the chain slider and I bet he could make one to suit, the one I bought from him for my raptor is perfect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cagiva-Can ... SwDrVbCyPZ
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I'm aware of that guy thanks Trevor, he's the person I suggest when someone needs a replacement.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I guess you are talking about Fritz Huss and his chain-sliders. He was primarily involved with the Cagiva Gran Canyon and is still active on Yahoo's site for them, which includes a number of Navigator riders and probably info too. Unless you need masses of power to carry two people and luggage, I'd certainly recommend the GC with its softly-tuned Ducati 900 motor. One of the nicest big traillie bikes around, and more elegant than the Navigator IMO.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Cag ... nyon2/info

Nick, Cagiva-holic :D
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Went and had a look at a Gran Canyon today Nick, to see the differences for the 19 inch front wheel compared to the 18 inch Navigator front wheel. My Navigator was the second one the dealer had seen, until I pointed out mine had the Suzuki motor, he's sold one Raptor previously. I paid $4k for mine, he wants $5k for the GC, that's had a hard life, and when I'm punting across Australian dirt roads, I'm pretty sure the last thing I'll be looking for is elegance. Never was into Duke motors, unless someone wants to donate to me an Elephant, then I'd change my mind, but only while I'm riding it lol. My love affair with my Navigator is just the same as the one with my Missus, every morning I wake up and look at them, the more I love them both :D
CagivaParts.eu

Post by CagivaParts.eu »

If the chain sliders from Fritz Huss are unavailable or if you want a different one made in the Netherlands.

We sell them on CagivaParts.eu made from HMPE with CNC milling.
These do not need any spacers and come wih new flange bolts.

We sell them for the Elefant, Navigator, Gran Canyon, Raptor and Mito.
Since a few weeks we also manufactured new swingarm bushes for the Elefant, Navigator, Gran Canyon and Mito. Also possible including bearings.

Kind regards,
Vincent from CagivaParts.eu
Owner of https://CagivaParts.eu
contact me at info@cagivaparts.eu for more info or questions