Throttle Cable Epic

Chat about anything
witstu
On the Road

Throttle Cable Epic

Post by witstu »

Throttle cable snapped whilst doing a winter warm through in workshop. Didn’t realise what an epic job this would turn out to be! First, Tank removal, undid all bolts and it sprung into life expanding about 10mm in length!
It’s now had 3 month empty and I’ve just tried it back on bike. I’ve had to elongate the back bracket holes by about 3mm and all seems well. So just ordered a pack of flowliner epoxy to coat the inside of tank before filling it with our crappy ethanol petrol. Apart from the tank problems the stuff I’ve had to unbolt to get at the throttle cable for removal is mad. Electronics, vacuum pipes,air box, crankcase breather box.
Oh well, whinge over back to making the blanking plates for the coating process.
witstu
On the Road

Re: Throttle Cable Epic

Post by witstu »

sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Be interested in seeing how you get on coating the tank, it is a bruch on solution?

thanks

Keith
Roadsters are me!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

A slosh-around-inside solution I'd think. I've treated several nylon Cagiva tanks with Caswell epoxy to protect the inside against ethanol/petrol degradation, and it works well.

Nick
witstu
On the Road

Post by witstu »

As Nick says Sid. It’s a 2 pack mix together slosh around solution.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Those blanking plates would be right handy for respraying my tank, would you be interested in selling them when yours is done? 8)
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
witstu
On the Road

Post by witstu »

Hello Trevor.
Was going to say I don’t mind anybody using them when I’m finished as long as we can keep track of where they are. I’ve just noticed your address 😬
To be truthful they are not that hard to make? Just some control panel blanking plate alloy I had at hand and some carefully measuring.
Stu.
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

No problem, I'm only getting the tank painted, I'll just knock something up from cardboard.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”