Help , what is this connector/sensor for?

General spannery stuff
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

:shock: I noticed this piece of wiring with the (yellow connector) sitting on top of the rear spigot exhaust manifold when i first purchased the bike, the top black piece was completely melted but nothing seemed wrong with the bike. Now that i have cleaned the connector up looks like i may have destroyed a sensor of some sort ? What is this for ? Anyone
snapdragon

Re: Help , what is this connector/sensor for?

Post by snapdragon »

should it live under the tank?
I'm not going out in torrential rain and hailstones to check mine :cold: but I will have a think

indoors
with the fire lit
and a cuppa
:D
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hi,

That is listed as "vehicle safety system" and it looks like it is involved with the side stand switch and gears, have attached a screenshot from the workshop manual.
Attachments
SafetySystem.JPG
SafetySystem.JPG (85.32 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Miz wrote:55 years agoHi,

That is listed as "vehicle safety system" and it looks like it is involved with the side stand switch and gears, have attached a screenshot from the workshop manual.
Thanks mate, thats exactly what it is, have tried a few different places but so far unable to find a sensor :( Looks like i might have to buy a complete wiring loom and they are not easy to find and most don't have the sensors connected. Would a sensor from a tl or sv , raptor 650 work ? Looks like my bike go nowhere for awhile :(
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoshould it live under the tank?
I'm not going out in torrential rain and hailstones to check mine :cold: but I will have a think

indoors
with the fire lit
and a cuppa
:D
wow, the opposite here today, engine in the rap is almost up to operating temp in the shed and havent even started it up lol 8 am and its already in the high 30'c , expecting low 40's C today :drunk: good for drinking only and not touch wiring :naughty: or make more of a mess of it :nod:

edit 1 pm and currently 43C or 109.4f and still rising :surrender:
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

It only looks like a pair of diodes and not a sensor as such, if it is, we should be able to make one with parts from Maplins etc. I'll look into it some more later. Also, have you picture the connector, do you have the piece that plugs into it, just looks like a blanking plug?
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Miz wrote:55 years agoIt only looks like a pair of diodes and not a sensor as such, if it is, we should be able to make one with parts from Maplins etc. I'll look into it some more later. Also, have you picture the connector, do you have the piece that plugs into it, just looks like a blanking plug?
That would be awesome , no it was pretty much destroyed before i got the bike, mostly a melted blob of plastic, lucky i think i saved the connector though. The piece that plugs into it had wiring of sorts and was probabally around 15mm in length?
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

i take it the thing on the left is the neutral light? if so does it still work? and as Miz says just a couple of diodes capable of handling 5 watts maybe
Bit of a Muppet
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoi take it the thing on the left is the neutral light? if so does it still work? and as Miz says just a couple of diodes capable of handling 5 watts maybe
No neutral light
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

ozzraptor wrote:55 years ago
shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoi take it the thing on the left is the neutral light? if so does it still work? and as Miz says just a couple of diodes capable of handling 5 watts maybe
No neutral light
That'll be it then
:tada: top detective work
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

Those wires look as if they are intended for fairly high currents.

The Safety System is described starting on G13 of the manual, the page after the one showing the overall Starting Circuit (the screenshot above).

It seems to me that, with the gears in neutral and the side stand down, the injection relay current is dumped through one of the diodes, then the gear position switch, then to earth. So that diode carries a rising current at start up, the steady state maximum of which is determined by the resistance of the relay coil.

On page G22 there is a fuse shown, which I think is the one associated with this circuit (and the injection relay). It is shown as 10 (Ten) Amps.

My addled brain thinks that a 5W diode will only be rated at 5W/12V=0.42A (W=VxI, so I=W/V). That 5W could be inadequate, given a 10Amp fuse. OTOH, R=V/I, so 12V/0.42A=28.6 ohms. Anything higher than that 28.6 ohms as the resistance of the relay should be OK (I=V/R, so a higher R gives a lower I). However, the circuit diagram on G22 has left me totally confused and one look at the full circuit diagram (which I have as a drawing separate from the manual) terrifies me. So this paragraph could be total nonsense.

On page G18 there is a reference to a diode for that circuit (called D1) and showing it as being close to the battery. My guess is that it is a high current diode that belongs where your connector is.

Maybe someone can put me straight on that or even find the actual diodes and their markings. They used to be numbered something like 1N2001, for example, but that probably dates me. :o

As my Rappy is all wrapped up for winter, I cannot get to check the relay resistance.

My brain hurts. Apologies if I'm being an idiot (again). More heat than light, I expect. :nod:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

True bear you have a point but the diodes only carry a fraction of the load(the rest being another solenoid the ignition coils etc) from the 10a fuse so 5w is probably way too low but to be safe go for the heaviest available.
Bit of a Muppet
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Certainly looks like it might have fuses in:
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG (22.74 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG (23.37 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Any way you can see if that V that was breaking still has it's electrickery hanging around? There are three pins inside the cap part, if you can tell me what to set my multimeter to I could maybe measure "something" useful?

EDIT: Looking at the workshop manual, is this the "diode" discussed on page G18?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi spyke thats the baby
Bit of a Muppet
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Sure looks familiar ,I think thats what mine looked like before it fried on top of the rear exhaust spigot, not sure how it got there