TPS setting cheat!

General spannery stuff
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

craftycat,

Checking and Setting the TPS on the suzuki/raptor

CHECKING

Warm the bike up to operating temperature.(70-80)

Locate the Dealer Mode block under the rear seat(right side on the Raptor).

With the ignition off, remove the rubber cover and jumper the two connectors with a paperclip or other suitable object. Do not let the paperclip contact the frame.

Start the bike and make sure it is idling at 1200 RPM.

The LCD display on the tachometer should read C--
NOTE,
( If the second line is either down or up then your tps is out. )

Advance the throttle to 1400 RPM with the Fast Idle Lever.

After a few seconds at 1400 RPM, the indicator in the LCD should advance to the upper mark.

If it advances at 1400 RPM, your TPS is set correct.
IF NOT,

SETTING THE TPS
Raise the tank.
- Disconnect the VCSV coupler (Leftside rear of airbox)
The TPS should now be exposed on the rear throttle body(leftside)
You will need a #25 Safety Torx Bit to adjust the TPS.
(Your tps is the black bit/part sat on the leftside of your rear t/b(3 pin/wire plug)
Loosen the screws to the TPS and start the bike.
Check the idle is at 1200 RPM and the bike is at normal operating temperature. Tap the TPS up and to the right until the indicator goes to the top mark. Now tap the TPS in the opposite direction until it just barely drops to the center mark (remember the delay, give it a few seconds after each tap). Tighten the Torx screws. Check the TPS by advancing it to 1400 RPM again and make sure the indicator moves up.
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

craftycat wrote:55 years agoJimbo, what page number is it on?
The relevant pages from the workshop manual are C.26 & C.31.

TLMonkey - the procedure in my manual is a little less complicated than yours, only 4 steps???

Can anybody tell me how to paste images into a post. That would make things easier.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
craftycat
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: saragracewevillceramics

Post by craftycat »

Thanks both of you, James has printed out those instructions and scuttled off to the garage!
Jimbo, think he pm'd you... would definately like a copy of that workshop manual! Why are they so difficult to get hold of? :?:
2002 Cagiva Raptor 1000... mine all mine!!
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Craftys Hubby again.

Have just warmed the bike up and confirmed it is on the high mark, although it reads -C00 where the dash is on the high position (cant do that with my keyboard)

The annoying thing is that I dont have tamper proof torx drive, I think Ive seen them on sale somewhere round here, if not I will have to grind down the pins in the screw heads.

Don't tell Crafty she won't be too pleased. :wink:

Will let you know if it's running better when I get it tweaked.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped and given helpfull info.
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Mr Crafty here again, managed to get the right screw driver and adjusted the TPS tonight, it feels like a new bike, so smooth between gear changes compared with before.

It has always been rough since we got it, so it must have always been out a bit, but just got worse more recently.

Hopefully the fuel consumption should go back down to a reasonable level.

Thanks again to TLMonkey and JimBo for all your help and info on the subject.

Confitures
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

Just done it, like to make a couple of points!
Display has to be in 'Temperature' position, to get the _C bit, no need to take off the connector, just room, with a long Torx, between the cables. The standard rev counter is pretty low in resolution, I'm looking for a portable hook-up m/c, for next time! You need to develop, Tap, 1/2 a tap, 1/3 tap to get it right!!
Well worthwhile, feeling of running rich at low speeds, has gone. Might even improve MPG!
Oh yes, having done it all, put seat back on, suited up for test ride, don't forget that the link is still in........... Not that I did, of course!!
:D
Steve Pratt

Are you coming, or just naturally happy?
craftycat
On the Road

Post by craftycat »

Good to hear you cracked it too Steve, I took her out for the first long ride today. Went to meet a friend coming over from UK for the 24hr endurance (bikes) .. I live near Le Mans by the way. Anyway did around 350 kms (around 215 miles) and the petrol warning light didn't come on until 190kms... a darn sight better than 150kms!!!
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

I was very careful, did not crack it - wouldn't that be a nice little treat??
:oops:
Steve Pratt

Adam
On the Road

Post by Adam »

Just reset my TPS following the above guide. Much nicer at low throttle openings. Ta chaps 8)
Always be the person your dog thinks you are.
Confitures
On the Road

Post by Confitures »

stevepratt48 wrote:55 years agoBut shorting those pins doesn't give you a 'TPS' adjusting icon, does it? Is it another (Which?) pair??
:o
Yes is does work with that pair of pins, just needs to be warmed up to running temperature first or the TPS display does not cut in.

8)
moodyman
On the Road

Post by moodyman »

Just put mine in to dealer mode to check the TPS

Should it have 2 horizontal lines on the display as mine only shows the 1

-C00 ??

Is this right? Thought it should be 2 --C00

:?:

Can it be adjusted in situ or does the tank etc need to be removed?

Cheers :D
stevepratt48
On the Road

Post by stevepratt48 »

There are actually 3, low, 'correct' and high - you sometimes have to move the TPS quite a bit to see the others. You have to raise (Not remove) the tank, you don't have to take out connectors etc as you can get to the Torx (25) screws (Make sure you've got one....) through the stuff. Make sure the engine is warm, be patient, as the adjustment is delicate, but can be jerky! Go to the top bar 1st, bring down (Just) to middle bar at 1200RPM, check it goes to top bar @ 1400 (Use fast idle)
Good luck!
Steve Pratt

Slurf
On the Road

Post by Slurf »

stevepratt48 wrote:55 years agoThere are actually 3, low, 'correct' and high - you sometimes have to move the TPS quite a bit to see the others. You have to raise (Not remove) the tank, you don't have to take out connectors etc as you can get to the Torx (25) screws (Make sure you've got one....) through the stuff. Make sure the engine is warm, be patient, as the adjustment is delicate, but can be jerky! Go to the top bar 1st, bring down (Just) to middle bar at 1200RPM, check it goes to top bar @ 1400 (Use fast idle)
Good luck!
there is a suzuki instruction video for this http://www.tlzone.net in the File vault named "tls sync", remember the engine and fuel Injection of the raptor and Navigator is the same.

Tip for navis replace the torx screws that holds the TPS. by allen(inbus) screws M5x16
you can now leave the left tank on the frame.
Got a navigator, sorry.. but I do need the long suspention travel.
craigus
On the Road

Post by craigus »

did mine today ,not to difficult doesnt need much movement tho, found that mine was on the bottom line so what does that mean. just need to get the throttle bodies balanced so might buy myself some vacuum gauges.
Pratz
On the Road

Re: TPS setting cheat!

Post by Pratz »

Tried to do that on my 650ie.... didn't work. It shows me nothing on LCD :( ! Did anyone already tried on a 650ie ?