Rough running at 3000rpm

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Si RAPTOR
On the Road

Rough running at 3000rpm

Post by Si RAPTOR »

As some may already be aware this is a common fault. Can even give rise to unexpected wheelies when pulling away with the intention of a quick getaway (scary). As well as this it can lurch and splutter whilst cruising through traffic at low speed (equally scary in the wet).

Anyone suffering from this fault should remove their clutch lever switch and inspect for wear and also check lever adjustment to ensure there is not too much play.

This switch not only informs the ecu that the clutch has been pulled in to allow you to start the bike but also switches it to a different map (god knows why this is necessary) the result of a worn swith and excessive play in the lever causes the ecu to switch from one map to the other at around 3000rpm resulting in rough runnning and kangaroo type throttle response. I see on this site that this fault is common however it is easily recitified without going to the dreaded "Dealer" who probably won't know to look for it.

Hope this helps someone. I was plagued with this problem for the last 6weeks with it getting progressively worse.

Cheers all

K&N filter and airbox mod as per TLmonkey is a must thanks mate
Last edited by Si RAPTOR on |September 21st, 2007|, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
God rides a harley davidson......The Devil Rides a Raptor
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Cheers for that.Had the same probs for a few days now so i`ve cleaned and adjusted ,and it`s now A1 8) .

CHEERS MATE :D .
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
Si RAPTOR
On the Road

Post by Si RAPTOR »

Pleased to be of service mate! :D
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

yup,

i had exactly the same problem, made my own clutch lever switch to get rid of this problem. flick on the switch, start engine, flick the switch back off.

i did recently install a TRE, and on cold mappings, the stuttering at 3000 is back. I have tried 100 different mappings, and none solved this problem, so i will take off the TRE again. Above 82°C the problem is not there.
Si RAPTOR
On the Road

Post by Si RAPTOR »

Wrecka it is actually you who should take full credit for this diagnosis and fix as I believe it was in your original thread that I found the problem and solution so thanks mate :wink:

Have a drink at the bar from me

Si :)
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

whoa, i actually helped someone! :lol:

cool ;)

i'll have one of these (again)

my head still hurts from yesterday though...7 33cl beers were needed to get a free t-shirt. I'm wearing a new t-shirt right now :lol:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

wreckah wrote:55 years ago...............Above 82°C the problem is not there.
nod nod - Thats what I found too

And congrats on 'winning' the T shirt 8)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
raptor001
On the Road

Post by raptor001 »

Hello guys,

This may sound like a stupid question but where is the clutch lever switch?
Is it that plastic plug like thing attached to the clutch lever by the handle bars? And how would one go about cleaning and adjusting it? Is it easily removable? I've also been experiencing rough running around 3000-4000rpm.
Si RAPTOR
On the Road

Post by Si RAPTOR »

Yes that is the offending item alright. Cleaning it and adjusting the slack in the loever only works momentarily. If your rap is ove 20kmiles then you have two options buy a new switch or remove and replace with a bar mounted push button kill switch normally used for motorx bikes.

The simplest way to see if this is the problem is once you have started your bike un plug the connector (do not bridge just leave un-connected) to the clutch switch and go for a ride if you find that the problem has smoothed out replace the switch as above.

Hope this helps as it was the most irritating and potentially lethal floor particularly when trying to pull away from lights at speed!!! Uncontrollable wheeelies :twisted:

Cheers
Si
kev
On the Road

Rough running at 3000rpm

Post by kev »

i think this may be my problem i have this jerky snatch at 3000rpm i have tryed different maps nothing has worked its always worse when its cold but it just about goes when the engine is past about 82 degrees
i have looked at the wires to the clutch switch guess what no clutch switch and the wires are soldered together.
what should i do just cut the wires and dont bother with switch???????????
993ti
On the Road

Post by 993ti »

Replace with a switch, push button or something like that.
If you cut them, you can't start the bike, if you leave them connected, it will run rough.
2003 Raptor 1000
Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition.
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

993ti wrote:55 years agoReplace with a switch, push button or something like that.
If you cut them, you can't start the bike, if you leave them connected, it will run rough.
would it be possible to splice the wires into the front brakelight switch
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

then your spluttering will come on and off whenever you touch the brakes...

doesn't seem that good of an idea to me, although 99% of the time you are not on the throttle while braking...so in theory it could work. But i wouldn't do it. 8)

Just get a little manual switch, costs 1GBP in your DIY store, and hang it on your bars with a tie-rap. ;)
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Probably a thickie question, but gonna ask anyway :lol:
I think mine may have started playing up like this, but am I right in thinking I can start the bike, unplug then ride and nothing else will be affected, then just plug it back in to start it again? Where can I buy another switch from? are they bike specific or just a general thing? I am assuming its a little black plastic thing with yellow and black wires :?
Any help as always is appreciated. :D
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Yep, deffo the switch, took out for run, with it unplugged - different bike, will get new switch :D

Just adding to this, replaced the switch and its like having a new bike :lol: