Heavy Duty Clutch

General spannery stuff
Bat Black

Heavy Duty Clutch

Post by Bat Black »

Can't stop my clutch from slipping. I've changed all the plates, springs (std), and cam set (aka back-torque) but nothing has helped. What to do? Switch to a stronger spring-kit? Is there a heavy-duty clutch out there that'd fit my Raptor Thou that somebody would recommend?

Grateful for all suggestions on how to solve my problem.
BB
Last edited by Bat Black on |May 8th, 2004|, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aki

Post by Aki »

You could try wellknown Barnett´s heavy-duty clutch-kits.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/applicat ... _menu=1000

Look TL1000S 1999-2001

Should be better than stock set..
Bat Black

EBC or not EBC, that's the question

Post by Bat Black »

Thanks for the tip Aki. Cheers!
However, I've talked to my dealer and ordered an EBC-clutch kit (race kevlar something). We'll see how it'll work out. Fingers crossed. Tried with some tougher springs, but no luck with that. Still slipping. Got myself a pretty strong left-hand from that though (I'm normally a right-handed guy :? ).
Mike Edwards
On the Road

Clutch Kits

Post by Mike Edwards »

When you get the EBC kit make sure you measure the size of the plates and compare it with the sizes specified in the service manual.

We had a number of guys use EBC kits for the SV650 when racing last year and found they didn't meet the tolerances required to work properly. The Barnett clutch kits that we used as a replacement were spot on first time.

I hope yours works okay but you get what you pay for.
Bat Black

Post by Bat Black »

Alright, I'll keep an eye out for the measurements. As soon as I get the plates I'll have a talk with my dealer and see if Barnetts parts are available instead or what they think about EBC in general.

Quite a small market in northern parts of Sweden for after-market parts. :(

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the tip.
Bat Black

Post by Bat Black »

Found some alternative solutions to the problem of a slipping clutch. See http://homepage.mac.com/rg500delta/TL1000/clutch.html

What do You reckon?

P.S. Do anyone know the thickness of clutchplates and the tolerance for a Rap Thou? D.S.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Could be mis-remembering but I thought although the engine is the TL 1000S, the clutch was from the TL 1000R - :?:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Bat Black

Post by Bat Black »

TL1000R? Might be. Looks just like a TL-S '99 though (one and the same?).

Fitted the Kevlar-plates. Clutch still slipping like a tramp on a carneval. Tried to adjust the pushrod assembly (see link posted before). Voila! Problem solved. Should've tried it before but what's a couple of hundered quids spent on plates and whathaveyous anyway :( ?
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

Hi, i believe i am experiencing clutch slips... any one noe where can i adjust the push rod?? thnx =)
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agoCould be mis-remembering but I thought although the engine is the TL 1000S, the clutch was from the TL 1000R - :?:
Easy to tell the difference, tls is 5 spring clutch and tlr has 6 spring's :)
TLMONKEY
On the Road

Post by TLMONKEY »

TLMONKEY wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years agoCould be mis-remembering but I thought although the engine is the TL 1000S, the clutch was from the TL 1000R - :?:
Easy to tell the difference, tls is 5 spring clutch and tlr has 6 spring's :)
EDIT...
Yes you are quite right snap, just checked and the raptor does infact have the tlr's six spring clutch.
Now i know i wasnt cracking up,when i removed my rap clutch cover 2 months ago and seen the 6 spring clutch and thought,EH!!!! Dont remember fitting that to my engine :lol:
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

all post 98 TLS's have 6 spring clutches. Not 100% sure of these are exactly the same as the TLR clutch.

stiffer springs should do the job. nothing wrong with the stock plates, except if you have abused them, or if they have 60.000miles on them...
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

wreckah wrote:55 years agoall post 98 TLS's have 6 spring clutches. Not 100% sure of these are exactly the same as the TLR clutch.

stiffer springs should do the job. nothing wrong with the stock plates, except if you have abused them, or if they have 60.000miles on them...
Bugger - do that mean I'm to expect that problem next ?? :shock:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
wreckah
On the Road

Post by wreckah »

maybe ;)

it probably can last longer, but on my TLS the plates were out of spec at 80.000kms, and i had slight slippage, even with stiffer springs. 60.000miles/100.000kms on one set of clutch plates is a lot!

first thing to go is the 'back torque limiter' though...as they wear out, you'll feel a slight hesitation of the clutch just when you let out the lever. Apart from that, you get no slippage...it's just a little delay in the action.
ayuluv
On the Road

Post by ayuluv »

hi guys, i had done a few tings to solve the slip issue.

i had clean the pus rod LHS (had chat with a friend hw both side will affect the clutch - LHS is the push rod while RHS is the springs)

check for a full lock on both side esp full lock to the right to c if the cable is too tight (am using a longer renthal bar so its abit of not enuff. when i full lock RHS the clutch seems to move up by itself)

change a bandit clutch cable and it has quite good allowance for free play.

ordered barnett springs waiting it to arrive. But my rappy works super well now... =)

i can rev it all i wan and it goes off real fine!!