Help , what is this connector/sensor for?

General spannery stuff
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Re: Help , what is this connector/sensor for?

Post by Aussiejoe »

I thought they were just a waterproof wiring connector that goes to nothing, and has a blank male connector that has the rear of it filled in with epoxy or something similar. I took that pic of my spare wiring harness and you can see the blank on the left and one connector wired in(I think it might be the speedo sensor connection as it had the same type). Here's a couple of links to similar ones
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Way-Waterp ... 4897.l4275
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2112
I think you've just lost the blank end Oz.
Attachments
wiring harness plugs.jpg
wiring harness plugs.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Aussiejoe wrote:55 years agoI thought they were just a waterproof wiring connector that goes to nothing, and has a blank male connector that has the rear of it filled in with epoxy or something similar. I took that pic of my spare wiring harness and you can see the blank on the left and one connector wired in(I think it might be the speedo sensor connection as it had the same type). Here's a couple of links to similar ones
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Way-Waterp ... 4897.l4275
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2112
I think you've just lost the blank end Oz.
nice find, does look the same? i dont remember seeing any holes at the top of the connector ? bike turns over , not sure if it will start but i have the exhaust off so i turned it off but does crank over. Still no neutral light.
Might have to take a look at the fuse box tomorrow . The base piece (9) in diagram also has the same numbers 1,2,3 and color coded wires. Does that cap also have any other wiring in it like diodes ?
I just noticed on my connector that top red piece in your pic is now gone after i cleaned the connector up of the melted bits. Perhaps that holds the key if the top black piece is only a connector and just that
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Just went and pulled what I thought was that blank connector out of my bike and it lost the neutral light and wouldn't start. I've got a parts list for my bike (650 Raptor) and it is called a starting safety device, but on this site http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-2_BS they call it (part number 44 CA0007513) a switching box. The Cagiva part number is 800088515, OEMpart has their own unique part numbering system.

You'll obviously need to replace that melted connector and get that starting safety device/switching box. That oemparts charge a small fortune for freight out here, so I suggest contacting Paul Feeney Group(used to be the importer for Cagiva in Australia and has lots of parts they are selling cheap) through their ebay site http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/paulfeeneygroupptyltd(also ask if they can send you a parts list in pdf format for your bike) or try your local Cagiva dealer to see if you can get one.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I found this picture of a raptor 1000 wiring loom and this looks like the same connector and color wires. Looks a little different to the above picture? I may be wrong.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Aussiejoe wrote:55 years agoJust went and pulled what I thought was that blank connector out of my bike and it lost the neutral light and wouldn't start. I've got a parts list for my bike (650 Raptor) and it is called a starting safety device, but on this site http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-2_BS they call it (part number 44 CA0007513) a switching box. The Cagiva part number is 800088515, OEMpart has their own unique part numbering system.

You'll obviously need to replace that melted connector and get that starting safety device/switching box. That oemparts charge a small fortune for freight out here, so I suggest contacting Paul Feeney Group(used to be the importer for Cagiva in Australia and has lots of parts they are selling cheap) through their ebay site http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/paulfeeneygroupptyltd(also ask if they can send you a parts list in pdf format for your bike) or try your local Cagiva dealer to see if you can get one.
Awesome ,great info Joe, many thanks for doing that :happyhappy: hey i have just been in contact with paul feeney today but was haveing trouble identifying the part but looks like you may have solved that . OEM parts charge like a wounded bull, have tried them before.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Just remember the numbers I listed are for the 650 model. Attached pics of the switching blocks and the connector with the red bit removed. See how you go getting parts, I obviously have a spare switching block and would probably have a spare connector, but a little reluctant to part with the parts I'm hoarding. Let us know how you go :happyhappy:

Sorry for the blurry pics, its Friday night so having a little trouble holding the camera still!
Attachments
switching block plug.jpg
switching block plug.jpg (179.76 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
switching box.jpg
switching box.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Thanks for yours and everyone input , i see they have a different part number to suit x rap 2004 model so gives me something to go on. No worries hang on to that part just in case
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Aussiejoe wrote:55 years agobut a little reluctant to part with the parts I'm hoarding.

Only my opinion, and the red wine is kicking in, but, your spare wiring loom is a good part to keep on stock, but the plug-in diodes are very unlikely to fail, unless the tyrap breaks and they melt on the rear exhaust :D , maybe you could offer your one to Ozzraptor until he can source one from a dealer (or even Ebay/Breakers etc) to replace your stock.
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Ouch yeah that rear header pipe gets red hot litterally. Is no worries i have given part number to paul feeney group with emma corresponding and they have been extremely helpful so will see if they can do it cheaper than the o/s crowd . Just as well i am waiting for my exhaust to come back from ceramic coaters and 1 right side warranty replacement GPR can from italy on its way so no rush :happyhappy: I hope its not another friday arvo job :naughty:
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Hey Miz, I've been slowly buying up parts out of Europe that will be hard to come by in the future as getting parts here in Australia can be a nightmare. That's a good idea mate, so let us know how you get on Oz! If you live on the East Coast, I'd probably be able to get it to you for nothing either by me or our driver that does the run south with the company I work for http://www.roadhogtransport.com.au/, you'd just have to meet us somewhere on the road so we don't have to go out of our way.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Aww, the community spirit shown on here makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! :thumbsup:

Nice work, Aussiejoe, I'd looked at the 1000 and the TL fiches and couldn't see the right bit, never thought to check the 650 though, but it makes sense that they'd use the same wiring.

I put mine back on the bike, then it struck me that you might have damaged yours so that you can't tell which way round is correct. The removable part had three metal pins inside it, and one plastic pin that locates the halves, the plastic pin goes to the side with the blue and yellow wire. This part http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180734628306 looks like it's exactly the right bit, if you find that you only get the top from Cagiva you can maybe replace the bottom yourself.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd noticed that wee block thing flailing around before, there had been a rubber tie-wrap thing in the area that hadn't been doing anything useful, so now the block is tied to the large tube of wires that is in there, hopefully that'll stop things getting melted in the future.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Looks like according to emma at paul feeney this part (vehicle safety switch) came with the wiring loom and they cant get hold of it as a spare part, lucky i took out some insurance in the event of this and bought a complete secondhand wiring loom so at least i will have some other spares.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Good stuff, would be a PITA to have to build one, although at least it does sound like that would be feasible. Just make sure you tuck it somewhere safe after you fit it!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

So have you it sorted Ozz from that second wiring harness, or you still need to get it. Just saying, but would be nice to have some fellow Raptor enthusiasts in the UK that could get parts delivered from oemparts to the UK and send it out to us in Australia via Royal Mail so we don't have to pay the ridiculous freight costs they want us to pay.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

believe me aussiejoe, oem charge ridiculous rates to get to britain too
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>