Engine dies...

General spannery stuff
Grumpy
On the Road

Engine dies...

Post by Grumpy »

Engine dies when throttling back.
Its happened a few times now and its accompanied with a strong whiff of fuel...and some misfiring on restart. My guess its a carb related problem, anybody got any ideas?

Here is a link to some video I shot of the problem. :x

[youtube][/youtube]
snapdragon

Re: Engine dies...

Post by snapdragon »

Mine's not carbed so I have no experience of that particular issue - jet blockage or diaphragm damage maybe?
with luck someone will and will have some ideas for you :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Grumpy
On the Road

Post by Grumpy »

OK, I use the word carb loosely. lol Perhaps accuracy would get me better results. :oops:

I should say its a 650 ie. circa 2007.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

tank breather/drain?
there's a hole in the lower left of the front pot that on some has been found partially blocked and needs a fine drill bit or wire rasp pushed through to clear it and let the tank breathe (and let water out)
fingers crossed someone more technical will be along soon
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Grumpy
On the Road

Post by Grumpy »

I discovered the drain problem not long after i got the bike when i washed it for the first time.
Bloody ridiculous arrangement!!! Took ages to unblock it and it might have had some bearing on the problem now, especially if water did get in to the tank.
You would have thought that the Italians could have done a better job designing that little gem, cause it never rains here...it bloody pours! :roll:
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

How are the spark plugs?
Is the idle speed set at the right rpm and not too low?
Throttle body sync has been checked?
For how many kms do you have this problem?
Since its a 2006 ie its injection and not with carbs...
Grumpy
On the Road

Post by Grumpy »

Plugs are fine. The idle speed is set at just over 1500, Slightly over because i think it helps, but that might be my imagination and wishful thinking and the problem has developed over the last two or three hundred Ks.
Another thing, is there appears to be a lot of overrun when throttled down, this happens only occasionally, usually when the bike is not behaving itself.
There also appears to be dead spots as well in the throttle response, but for now most of the time it seems OK, but this problem is getting more frequent now and it needs sorting.
As for "Throttle body sync has been checked?" please enlighten me on this. I'm not a great mechanic although I can turn my hand to most things, so you're gonna have to spell it out for me. :)
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Well throttle sync is just checking that both throttle bodies open the same when you open the throttle
It should be checked every 20000kms(manual says 12000kms but I had it checked at 14000 and didn't need to be adjusted)
I can't tell however if this could be responsible for your problem...

Your problem, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fueling.
I suggest taking it to a dealer to check it...There aren't many things that you can do.
Grumpy
On the Road

Post by Grumpy »

It is overdue for a check then, as its just passed the 20,000k mark. If that is all it is then I shall be a very happy Raptor owner. :nod:
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

If its any consolation - and I appreciate that it probably isn't - I got a BMW F800 as a second bike and it has a similar problem. I found that the trick to getting it to run properly is to book an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. You'll find that on arriving at the dealer, the bike will be running perfectly with no indication that anything is amiss. That's my experience anyway.

It cut out three times on the way home.
Grumpy
On the Road

Post by Grumpy »

lol...I know that one. The law of sod works in Italy too. :nod:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Red Mist wrote:55 years ago I found that the trick to getting it to run properly is to book an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. You'll find that on arriving at the dealer, the bike will be running perfectly with no indication that anything is amiss. That's my experience anyway.

It cut out three times on the way home.
Nod Nod .. that is the "engineer sensor" as soon as you are in range of a mechanic it behaves :toocool:
Twisted Tequila Sister
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Fuel pump issues?
It's all greek to me....
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I had a simillar problem and went through everything and never actually got to the bottom of it ,it just stopped doing it.

it might be worth draining the tank incase water has got in. I had a problem with water in there and the strainer on the pump inlet was a bit gummed up(in the tank, can be removed by undoing 6 or 8 6mm bolts 10mm with heads on the plate under the tank but beware you will spill fuel) another way of draining would be to undo the return fuel pipe to the tank and hold the tank with this pipe at the bottom.
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoI had a simillar problem and went through everything and never actually got to the bottom of it ,it just stopped doing it.

it might be worth draining the tank incase water has got in. I had a problem with water in there and the strainer on the pump inlet was a bit gummed up(in the tank, can be removed by undoing 6 or 8 6mm bolts 10mm with heads on the plate under the tank but beware you will spill fuel) another way of draining would be to undo the return fuel pipe to the tank and hold the tank with this pipe at the bottom.

Or try some Dry Fuel to your next couple of fillups.
152/999