Aftermarket exhausts

Chat about anything
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Aftermarket exhausts

Post by slix2110 »

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback about the exhausts on ebay made by MTC and V-Force? Under £300 with all fittings for road legal with removeable d/b killers sounds like value to me. Or are they no good? I await your answers with baited breath cos i've almost had my Rap for a year and it deserves a present! Steve
Miz
On the Road

Re: Aftermarket exhausts

Post by Miz »

I've heard that MTC are good.

Beware of leaving removeable baffles (BD Killers) in too long, as they can "automatically" revert to full volume..
152/999
Dodge
On the Road

Post by Dodge »

Got a set of MTC stainless oval cans on my Rap thou',and have been very pleased with them so far, they seem well made, were easy to fit and lined up level unlike some other makes!!
When I first started the bike up they didn't have the db killers fitted, jeez it was loud! (ok, it was inside a workshop!), I fitted the killers and they mellowed the sound to some degree but it still sounds awsome!
The bike runs fine without any fuelling mods, (apart from a smart TRE this is the only mod made to the engine......so far!) however I reckon with any further mods, such as a K&N air filter, the fuelling would need a remap.
As far as my experience goes with the MTC's, for the money you can't go far wrong :nod:

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
slix2110
On the Road

Post by slix2110 »

Thanks guys, had a look at your photos Dodge and the ovals look really good-are they slightly more upswept than the original dustbins? Bet they're lighter too! Was thinking of round (read cheaper!) but now ovals look better I reckon.

Miz, how can they revert to full noise? Do the db killers simply rot away or something?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

slix2110 wrote:55 years ago
Miz, how can they revert to full noise? Do the db killers simply rot away or something?

If the bolts/rivets holding the DB Killers work loose, then the DB Killer gets "fired" off down the road behind you :D

I have MIVV Sportlines on mine, have never had DB Killers, only "problem" up to now was a comment at the last MOT that "it's a bit loud" but still passed OK, but then again, I don't go to work on mine, so if I did maybe I would get some hassle from the neighbours.
152/999
Dodge
On the Road

Post by Dodge »

Not sure if the cans are more upswept than the standard ones, it may look like it due to the fact that I have rear triangles fitted that have jacked the rear of the bike up by some 30mm.
It's a good point about the db killers working loose and getting blown out, I had that happpen on my 'fighter when giving it the beans up the A30 one sunny day! wouldn't have wanted to be following and been in the fireing line :o !! I loctited the fixing screws in this time and so far they have stayed in place.

Dodge
40 years a biker,..........and still a twat!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cagiva Raptor 1000, GSXR 7/12 Slingshot Streetfighter, Granada Cosworth
slix2110
On the Road

Post by slix2110 »

Ha Ha! Have just had this image of being tailed by unmarked police Audi or somesuch and the db killers firing back at them. What would they file that one under I wonder?
slix2110
On the Road

Post by slix2110 »

Finally got them! Went for V-Force round stainless cans with the link pipes in satin stainless. They look and sound awesome. A bit of popping and banging on over run which I actually like. They went on easily with no issues at all (except getting the old pipes off). They arrived in 3 days and cost the grand total of £248 including carriage.
Tommytuck
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: tucker.tommybinding

Post by Tommytuck »

Mmmmm, my new V Rap thou came with ART cans fitted (ART now defunct of course)....
A bit of a home made set up to make them fit by the look of it.
The bike was advertised as having standard cans included in sale, they were included ok
but the link pipes which attach them to the end can & collector looks as though they have been taken off with a grinder! :doh:

The ART cans are "LAF" & would most definately not pass MOT inspection over here in Northern Ireland.
Gonna be fun trying to source/get pipes to attach back onto the original standard Rap end cans as I haven't seen the
standard set up as yet.
Seems to be 3 retainer lugs attached to the end cans, still in wrapping after transporting to NI.
Anyone fancy posting a pic of their standard end cans/link pipe would be greatly appreciated.

You got a direct link to the "under £300" after market cans/link pipes slix?
Tommytuck
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: tucker.tommybinding

Post by Tommytuck »

Ok, just spotted ebay link to exhaust systems & a pic of a standard can for sale...
Appears the link pipes are welded on to the standard can & the 3 lugs are for
the heat shield......
slix2110
On the Road

Post by slix2110 »

Standard cans seem to make next to nothing on ebay, so it may be worth getting a set for MOT purposes. V Force cans are pretty loud, but carry a BS mark. Just had MOT so won't be sure till next year if they'll pass.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Depends on the mot place. Rather a lot aren't concerned with the noise of your cans, some are just annoyingly pedantic about them.
A decent one will be more concerned with yer swingarm bearings than what the decibel of your exhaust is.
I've used the same place for nearly ten yrs now, and never had them questioned. The odd ' god they sound great' is the phrase I prefer :)
Stubbied race Art can on the SV, stubbied hi level scorpion on the other SV and twin Leo Vince....that really are road legal honest Guv on the VRap.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
big-al
On the Road

Post by big-al »

i have to say the noise a v twin makes with a nice pair of cans is second to none in my opinion the louder the better :D :D :thumbsup:
i did own a few years ago a 600 single 4 bang husaberg moto x bike the noise was amazing you cant beat a nice sounding bike ...
dirtydog
On the Road

Post by dirtydog »

I've just put the standard cans back on the Rap, only for its MOT though as the ART cans have "not for road use" stamped on them :revrev: and it sounds a bit rubbish now!
Also just put the DB killer in the SVs akra can as I'm hoping to get that MOT'd in the next week or so.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

dirtydog wrote:55 years agoI've just put the standard cans back on the Rap, only for its MOT though as the ART cans have "not for road use" stamped on them :revrev: and it sounds a bit rubbish now!
Also just put the DB killer in the SVs akra can as I'm hoping to get that MOT'd in the next week or so.
Where is it stamped in the cans?

If it is in the straps that hold the end cans on, you can but new plain ones on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-CAN-R ... 500wt_1203
152/999